Downtown Denver

a few more.
There were tons of writings like that close to this military place that had all these military supplies. It's in a park or something that used to be a water treatment plant.
There's definetly something happening with this area. Right now it don't look like much. I should have taken more pics of that area.
This year the city is planning to put mucho dinero in our bike trails. Already I see a vast improvement.
I hope the day never happens when I actually get kicked out of the trails. Right now as long as I'm respecting everyone I don't see it happen. But every time I ride the trails I get a gut feeling that today is the day I'm gonna get harrased. And it's all because of Mr. Shakeyfinger.
But for now life is good.

Attachments

• 100_0635 copy.JPG
    100_0635 copy.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 312
  • 100_0636 copy.JPG
    100_0636 copy.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 294
  • 100_0637 copy.JPG
    100_0637 copy.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 299
  • 100_0639 copy.JPG
    100_0639 copy.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 267
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey !!

I too ride a lot in the Denver area. When I take the paths, I do the same as you when around other riders. I have never had any problems. But.. I stay off the paths on weekends. At those times you get the Spandex rainbow riders and there are so many of them that you just have to stay off paths. During the week, I can go to golden and back and cross paths with 5 or 10 cyclists and never have any problems with them. Most of the time I get a thumbs up from them. In the past year I have had 1 or 2 shaky fingers. Rare.. But it happens. Keep in mind the shaky finger riders are the same riders that object to cars going down the same road as they are. These shaky finger riders are the same riders that give bicycle riders a bad name . These shaky finger riders ride side by side on roads forcing cars to cross double yellow lines forcing them into on coming traffic. I came across a guy in his Toyota 4 runner assaulting a cyclist with a cell phone. Throwing it at him. The cyclist dropped it and the 4 runner guy picked it up. Both had stopped. The cyclist was still straddled over his bike. I stopped and told the 4 runner guy to chill and just leave. The 4 runner guy had his fists up ready to fight. He had his 4 runner drivers door open and I could see this guys children in the 4 runner crying for daddy to lets go !! I fussed at the guy and told him to chill. He picked up the cyclists cell phone he had dropped and threw in in the cyclist face as hard as he could ...and missed... Then got into his 4 runner and took off. Not sure what the cyclist did to anger a guy so much to make him stop and go fist and cuffs in front of his children. Anyway.. My point being.. There are shaky finger cyclists. Keep in mind this.. As a motor assisted bicycle rider, you buy fuel, no matter how little. Maybe you buy as much as a gallon a week? or a gallon a month? But, you still buy some.. and you are paying road and path tax. This tax pays for paths and roads. If you want to be technical and discuss entitlements, you are more entitled to paths and roads with your motor assisted bicycle than those with no motor assist since they are not paying for the use tax at all. And believe me... Paths and roads are not free.. Ever have your drive way replaced? Yikes !!! Expensive is the word.. So.. Ride on !! Be cool around other riders... Do not be a shaky finger person.. and just enjoy the ride...

Thanks Dax for that! You know you're right. I payed my gas tax! I fill up my gallon container about once every two weeks sometimes three.

Today was one of those days when you really believe there is a God.
Okay. I had to get to my agency. It's that 30 mile one way route I've been taking pics at above. Why I did not bring my camera today I do not know. I had to get there cause I get my host home check on the 20th of each month. It's a plus that it's absolutely beautiful out thank you spring is finally here but I really don't have any choice today to take Moop cause I'm dirt poor and there's no gas in my truck.
All week I've been stressing about my back rim. My NoMoreFlats tube is so awesome,man and I've taken it to it's limits when I originally ruined my tire and then I broke two spokes from my kickstand that I've removed,my speedometer also went south big deal though. Anyway,bottom line I needed to fix my back wheel. With no money this whole week,my last change was for a gallon of gas for Moop I scrounged around and laced my own wheel finally I get it right but when I installed it the entire rim is offset to the right. Then I find a used tire and fit my NoMoreFlats tube on there with lots of soap and water and it's done.
So here I go off to my agency to get my host home check. Not even one mile out I make a turn and feel a little weird back there. I stop to look and 2 inches of my tire bead on the right side has left the rim. So I'm thinking here. I have no gas. All I have is Moop to take me there. I don't even have money for the bus. I know the route. I've taken the bus there many times before. It's no big deal.
So I decide to continue the Moop ride to my agency. I am a TRUE BLUE BELIEVER of the NoMoreFlats tube. NOTHING will stop you cold with this thing. I made it there alright slowly with the "thump thump thump" I don't think I went any faster than 10 MPH. Then I stopped at my bank for that ATM deposit and my allowed 100 dollar I can pull out at my ATM. Then back on the bike trail thinking this all thru. "Okay,I'll go to garage sales this weekend. I'm sure I can get a 10 to 20 dollar bike for another rim. Now that I got some money this thump thump thump has got to be warping by trusted NoMoreFlats tube so I'll get another one ay Wal Mart. I'll get a new tire too.
All this I'm thinking as I'm riding down the Denver Trails and suddenly something caught my eye. I stopped,turned around and there it is. A 26 inch back rim with a tire and a blown tube. Just the wheel. No bike. So I'm thinking "Now how in the heck can someone just leave a wheel here? Where's the rest of the bike? How did this guy make it out of here without his wheel?
Then I inspect it. 36 spokes. You want 36 spokes for in my experience,36 spokes mean NO INTERFERENCE when you bolt up the Happy Time sprocket. I spun it and it's straight as an arrow.
See,with Iran going on and the recession and no hope for our next president whomever that may be,sometimes you have to wonder if somebody is REALLY looking out for me. This simply does not happen.
So I take my cable lock and wrap it and my new wheel around my handlebars and take the remaining 10 or so miles to where my truck is parked at the park where the trail starts. I like to drive my truck up to the park to avoid this massive hill getting to the trails. It's only like 2 miles away.
Then I go home,grab my camera and took these shots.
Pic 1 ~ This is what happens to a tire when it seperates from a rim and continues to be used for 59 miles. Do you see the wires?
Pic 2 ~ And this is the wheel just sitting on the side of the trail just waiting for me to find it.

Now I could believe a broken down bicycle on the side of the trails. But just a wheel?

Man,I think that GOD HIMSELF must have planted that for me.

I better go to church on sunday.

I'm off to Wal Mart after my client goes home for his bi-weekly home visit and I'm gonna FINALLY get that wheel fixed. No more thump thump thump for me!

I want a Wheelmaster wheel. Maybe next go.

Attachments

• 100_0753 copy.JPG
    100_0753 copy.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 431
  • 100_0755 copy.JPG
    100_0755 copy.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 400
Church is always....

Church is always a good idea. Take care of your soul as though you are going tomorrow. Take care of your bike and motor as though you are going to be here on earth for ever.... And..With that... If you need anything and I can help you out, let me know. I am in your area and I will help you if I can. Thanks... Enjoy the ride.....

Thanks Dwane! That rools! I think I'm okay now though. I got a new tire and NoMoreFlats tube and fined tuned that found rim. Were getting a free dog tonight,a miniature Dashhound so after that I'll put the sprocket on. I hope my other little dogs don't get too jealous.

Ya can't beat free! Good story, it's amazing that wheel got you that far being so messed up.

I too have the.....

I have some Airless tubes from Walmart. I like the fact that it never can go flat. I must say..That is nice.. What I do not like is the handling of it. It does not have the side wall support that I like and makes for sloppy handling. Kind of like.... The handling you get with a tire that is super low on air or almost flat kind of handling. Straight up riding you do not notice it. But taking hard corners or slant riding it likes to slide. So..I have gone back to Tubes. And..What I have done is cut an old tube and lined my tube with it, also put in a liner. And so far, no more flats using this method and the handling is great !!! There are a lot of thorns here. If I do get another flat, I will cut yet another old tube and line it again and will keep doing this until the flats stop. so far..The flats have stopped at 2 liners. And..I ride a lot for sure. And..I must say.. I enjoy the ride.......

I just came back from a test ride. No more thump thump thump. I think my old solid inner tube has been defective a very long time. The new one with a new tire it's so smooth now I simply don't remember my bike being this smooth.
I depend too much on my bike and my time restraint to do that 60 mile trip for I absolutely need to be home by 2:00 pm for my client to ever depend on an inner tube again. Yes,loss of some handling outweighs even if your tire is shredded you can still ride on!

Back