dr_clabo's schwinn

~FIN~

1106_fin_1.jpg

No problem... I think I was late in my reply and the page changed and I didn't catch your question at first....

Enjoy,
~DC~

Real nice DC. I was thinking of using the rubber in my clamps until I read that it would cause a bouncy relief point that would cause the mont bolts to come loose. Later down the road please inform us.
Thanks
Doc

Real nice DC. I was thinking of using the rubber in my clamps until I read that it would cause a bouncy relief point that would cause the mont bolts to come loose. Later down the road please inform us.

Yes, I will keep an eye on all of it.

I initially had no trust whatsoever with ANY Chinese stuff. Any.
After reading the posts, I gained more & more confidence, however.
Seeing is believing, for me, I guess.

As noted, there is a difference in kits !
And, there seems to be a slight quality difference from kit to kit from the same provider.

One item of note for me is that chain idler / tensioner.
Seems to me if that chain hops off, it is going to catastrophic. There is nowhere for the chain to go up on the front sprocket. Big time wreck, I could imagine.

On the one kit I somewhat inherited, the idler is nothing more that a round piece of plastic mounted on an iron (not steel) rod.

I could not in my right mind send ANYBODY, including myself, riding as it were. I robbed a bearing type roller out of another kit and additionally ordered two (2ea) more rollers from the reputable outfit that posts here.

I would like to see a better still quality of roller or a sprocketed tensioner....... in the future, in the future...... when I have time.

I plan on resolving some of the engineering short comings with the charging system, rollers, clutch handles, etc.

Other than stated, still alive and riding daily.

Thanks,
~DC~

I like you bike and picked up some information too.

I used the larger rear sprocket on my bike but later though maybe should have used the smaller one.

After reading the chug,chug effect at lower speeds I'll just keep using the large sprocket. I don't ride very fast (15-20) and as Bikeguy pointed out,"were running in 2nd or 3rd gear".

After reading the chug,chug effect at lower speeds I'll just keep using the large sprocket. I don't ride very fast (15-20) and as Bikeguy pointed out,"were running in 2nd or 3rd gear".

Yes indeed. It does depend on application.

If I were riding to work on the rig for perhaps 5 miles or more, I would use the smaller 44T sprocket.

In the this one instance, it will be used solely at a smaller community and will solely be used for just "putting around" and cruising in the late afternoons for enjoyment. No speed is necessary and thus it is not an issue. Less will be more in this instance.

Much of the "chugging" is simply because the flywheel is light and not necessarily nor entirely from the gearing.
I know why it is light: For RPM puposes, total weight consideration, shipping (cost), engineering and cost & manufacturing purposes.

I have no plans to get into that subject, however, as these are what they are; neat little affordable hobbies that are fun to screw together and just putt around.

If I wanted something with more stability and reliability, I would have bought a small Honda for $2K

Enjoy,
~DC~

I have no plans to get into that subject, however, as these are what they are; neat little affordable hobbies that are fun to screw together and just putt around.

If I wanted something with more stability and reliability, I would have bought a small Honda for $2K

Enjoy,
~DC~

Bam....you hit the nail right on the head. Perfect.

Bam....you hit the nail right on the head. Perfect.

Actually, I have the Honda too....

I really started this hobby to get a guy upgraded from an electric Schwinn (Currie), which is super nice and strong for an electric, to a gas powered rig. He has the "No License Necessary" issue.

The more I ride & test, the more I like.

------------------------------------------------------

All ORIGINAL 1975 Honda 100 with 265 actual miles !

1106_PIC_1.jpg

Back