Dreaming up a new build using e-tek Manta motor

Madd Matt

Local time
6:29 AM
Hey Everybody,

"I have a dream" or it could turn out to be a nightmare.
I picked up two of these "Manta" motors for almost nothing. (guy didn't know what they were and wanted them gone, so I stepped up!) Now, what to do with them?

It seems to me with all of the confusion over legalities of motorized bikes, why fight it? I am going to build a light electric motorcycle and get the license and tags and (yuck!) insurance so I can be legal and still ride my own build!!
I have been looking at some replica early motorcycles on line and have found some sites that feature the kind of bike I want.
1) www. juicer.bike/index.html
2) www.vintageelectricbikes.com -- This guys bikes look the best in my opinion.
3) www.boardtrackreplicas.com
4) www.meijsmotorman.com -- Here is a gorgeous example of simplicity, didn't even bother with pedals.
5) www.sportsmanflyer.com -- These guys use Worksman bike frames for their builds.
6) www.italjet.com -- Pure Italian sex on wheels!!

Now all I have to do is go back to college and take some welding classes so I can build a frame that can be trusted at 50 MPH not to drop me on the pavement at speed!!! (spoil my whole day). Then all I have to do is figure out whether it would be better for my primary drive to be belt or chain. And do I use a jackshaft to provide multiple gears? What type of chain do I use for my secondary drive to the wheel? Through a bicycle's cassette ? or fabricate my own kind of gearing?
What kind of casing do I use for the battery and electronics? Maybe I can get Vintage Electric bikes to sell me one? I would have to modify it to suit my needs and not step on his toes about his products.

I welcome and request any and all ideas from everyone as to how to proceed with this creation. (do not want a Frankenstein)

Thanks to everyone,
Madd Matt

Hey Everybody,

"I have a dream" or it could turn out to be a nightmare.
I picked up two of these "Manta" motors for almost nothing. (guy didn't know what they were and wanted them gone, so I stepped up!) Now, what to do with them?

It seems to me with all of the confusion over legalities of motorized bikes, why fight it? I am going to build a light electric motorcycle and get the license and tags and (yuck!) insurance so I can be legal and still ride my own build!!
I have been looking at some replica early motorcycles on line and have found some sites that feature the kind of bike I want.
1) www. juicer.bike/index.html
2) www.vintageelectricbikes.com -- This guys bikes look the best in my opinion.
3) www.boardtrackreplicas.com
4) www.meijsmotorman.com -- Here is a gorgeous example of simplicity, didn't even bother with pedals.
5) www.sportsmanflyer.com -- These guys use Worksman bike frames for their builds.
6) www.italjet.com -- Pure Italian sex on wheels!!

Now all I have to do is go back to college and take some welding classes so I can build a frame that can be trusted at 50 MPH not to drop me on the pavement at speed!!! (spoil my whole day). Then all I have to do is figure out whether it would be better for my primary drive to be belt or chain. And do I use a jackshaft to provide multiple gears? What type of chain do I use for my secondary drive to the wheel? Through a bicycle's cassette ? or fabricate my own kind of gearing?
What kind of casing do I use for the battery and electronics? Maybe I can get Vintage Electric bikes to sell me one? I would have to modify it to suit my needs and not step on his toes about his products.

I welcome and request any and all ideas from everyone as to how to proceed with this creation. (do not want a Frankenstein)

Thanks to everyone,
Madd Matt
I take offense to this.

Oh NO!
Frankenstein, my deepest apologies. It never occurred to me when I used the word Frankenstein that I could be offending someone out there. I am so sorry ! Please forgive me.
But at the same time, you do understand what I was trying to get across, don't you!
Egg on my Face,
Madd Matt

Oh NO!
Frankenstein, my deepest apologies. It never occurred to me when I used the word Frankenstein that I could be offending someone out there. I am so sorry ! Please forgive me.
But at the same time, you do understand what I was trying to get across, don't you!
Egg on my Face,
Madd Matt
Lol I was joking, I totally understand what you meant. You actually meant to say you don't want a Frankenstein's monster, Frankenstein was the doctor, his monster was the chop shop nightmare.

Ain't nothing wrong with a crazy mad scientist, his creations however might be a problem for some...

Back