dremel multi-max cutting bit: a surprisingly elegant clutch cable lock screw replacement

Nate888

Local time
10:07 AM
20160914_215336.jpg
20160914_215252.jpg

I wound & tied the cable thru the little holes in the bit, then once I dialed the setting in correctly & made sure it was secure I sealed it in w/ cyanoacrylate adhesive.

This & my air filter (steel sunscreen spray can w/ lots of big holes wrapped in layers of very-fine to medium-fine dress socks) are the 2 'redneck repairs' I've done that I'm actually proud of :p

If it's to hold the cable in place ?can't make out much of the pic its just wire and a bit of metal in a mess .you just feed the cable through the hole in the clutch arm then do up a nut and bolt with big washers on it .you don't need a hole in the bolt like the stock cable thing holder/stopper squish the cable in the washers or go around the bolt once the do it up.

yeah, the cable runs thru the multi-max attachment, which holds the cable in place that way. I'd made a work around before that was just clamping the cable between washers on a bolt, kinda like what you said I think, but it took me like 40 very painful minutes to get it locked in the right tension that way. this way was super easy

Yeah it can be tricky to use the washers lol....think I get it now it's one of those vibration cutter blades right..are you gonna cut the flat plate off and just keep the holy bit ?

Nate, I am as aesthetically challenged as they come, but even to me, that is a mess.
Couldn't you drill and tap the clutch arm for an M3 or M4 clamp screw?
Couldn't you drill and tap a piece of rod to make a clutch cable lock?
Drills and taps this size are cheap. Less than $5 and you have then forever.
The clutch cable lock is only $3.

thanks - it's on the list of things to upgrade, but exhaust; new throttle handle & cable; better routing & beefing up electrical connections; new seat; adding a better housing/enclosure for cdi & wiring... & probably a fresh coat of paint are all ahead of it in the queue, since this is secure for now

& to clarify, attached is a pic of the same attachment on its own
20160916_123938.jpg

I'm with Steve.... I used to have a large gawky bright blue milk crate on my bike with lots of reflection tape and zip ties galore and bread ties with duct tape on the brightly colored wires. I probably wore my shirt inside out and looked very dorky that day and I loved it.

That blade just looks awful and thinking about disassembly or adjustment makes my stomach leap.

I found that drilling a 1/16th hole in a quarter 20 bolt near the head and using a nylon lock nut works great. Also a friend came to me with these wonderful cable locks, like really nice quality, big too, like the size of a dime, very easy to manipulate and use.

Back