Sprockets Dressing both the front and back gear sprockets

Wevil Knievel

Local time
1:40 PM
Before I run my engine I take both of the sprockets and a small chainsaw file and I smooth the edges of the sprockets where you can see they were pressed out because there are burs and lips on them that will unnecessarily wear your chain out..

Just go around the whole entire sprocket and give each groove or chain valley a quick couple strokes and smooth out any rough edges that you feel as you drag your fingertips along the gear edge.

This will add years of life to your chain and not wear it out so quickly and it keeps it from bucking and climbing off of the gear.

5a26b0749a120-900x540.jpg

That procedure is something I commonly do to the engine drive and tensioner sprockets. Since I have a triple chainring shift kit I also even do the same procedure to the shift kit and custom built 7 speed freewheel (34,28,24,21,18,15,13)

Before I run my engine I take both of the sprockets and a small chainsaw file and I smooth the edges of the sprockets where you can see they were pressed out because there are burs and lips on them that will unnecessarily wear your chain out..

Just go around the whole entire sprocket and give each groove or chain valley a quick couple strokes and smooth out any rough edges that you feel as you drag your fingertips along the gear edge.

This will add years of life to your chain and not wear it out so quickly and it keeps it from bucking and climbing off of the gear.
Good tip Evil. - Something I had never thought of, but will definitely do next time. - Thanks.

Back