Drill Powered Bike

Talk about thinking outside the box!

Great idea, and if the advertised range/speed on that minibike is true, I could see adding that to one of those ultra-lightweight folding travel bikes and just take your motored bike with you on trips.

Really creative thinking there..

yes -- thinking that the doors wide open -- new ideas as to be seen and used with MB application
it's almost like back in the good old days -- early 1900's

a cool time for inventors and 2 wheel with motor riders

ride that MB thing

The important thing is to put that drive assembly on the front wheel, and connect it to the rear via similar PTO assembly with a flexible drive shaft. Then you have two-wheel drive.

I might get around to doing that on the recumbent I'm designing. The company's site is here.

You know, that's a sweet gadget. I cannot afford one, let alone two to build a two wheel powered bike, but I just had a wild thought.

On a tadpole trike steering is normally by physically turning the wheels in a plane perpendicular to their axis of rotation, but it doesn't have to be. Make one with the axles fixed, but each wheel seperately powered by something similar to that gadget - heck, use reversible drills as your power units and spin in a circle like a wheelchair can. Put a small wheel in the rear. able to caster freely, then take a joystick controller and an arduino chip, run your controller through that and corner by differential speed inputs to the motors.

I guarantee that new balancing two-wheel GM/Segway toy is steeered that way.

Talk about thinking outside the box!
Aww what?!? I've thought about that before, minus the flexible drive shaft. I thought that an angle grinder would be better because it spins much faster. I bought an A/C powered grinder for $20. Anybody can get one of these powerful motors for dirt cheap. Only problem is slowing the thing down so it doesn't suck up so much juice. Surely it's possible... with a potentiometer perhaps?? I wish I knew more basics about electrical applications.

Great idea, and if the advertised range/speed on that minibike is true, I could see adding that to one of those ultra-lightweight folding travel bikes and just take your motored bike with you on trips.
I think that folding bike is an old skool Go-Bike from Go-Ped. Not positive, tho. Got sidetracked when I found this sweet looking folding bike.... http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/07/the_gobike_anot.php

BEAUTIFUL!

Interesting idea and probably a really fun and well built project.....but I don't see how it's any more usable (and is certainly more expensive) than the electric Go-Peds that have been around for a long time. The speed and distance limitations of it make it rather limited. Still, a cool idea. For the same price as this thing (and the electric drill) you could build a GOOD MAB that is much more usable.

Warner

What are the specs of the batteries found on electric GoPeds, tho?? I'm sure they're much larger than the one found on this drill...

Add a 3-pack of these drill batteries to this folding bike... and then you've got something similar to the speed and range of a GoPed, no?

Back