Drill Starting your HT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys -

I put one together. . . An electric drill driven one-way clutch starter assembly for the 2-cycle engines. There should be some pictures attached.

The one-way clutch roller bearing was made by Torrington. I got it from a local industrial parts supply house. It measures 1/2 inch internal diameter, 3/4 inch outside diameter, and about 4/10 of an inch wide. I paid just under $13 for it and out the door I went.

I cleaned the mating surfaces of all oil and grease and used a small vise to press the bearing into an Ace Hardware shaft collar, 3/4 inch internal diameter and 1 1/4 inch outside diameter. The collar has a setscrew. The bearing purposely gives a tight fit so it will not rotate in the collar. I am surprised they assembled so well.

The big socket is the cheapest, most beat-up 1 1/4 inch socket I could find. An adapter allows this to be driven by a 3/8 inch shaft. The smaller shaft is driven by the electric drill.

The bolt was 3 inches long and less than $2 from Ace Hardware. It is .496 inch diameter. Take the one-way clutch bearing with you when testing which bolt best engages the clutch bearing. A .498 inch diameter shaft engages more reliably than a shaft of .496 inch diameter (measured with a micrometer). I cut off excess bolt thread and used a Scotch Brite pad I had to polish the bolt just a bit. A file and an hour of effort can trim down the end of the bolt to 3/8 of an inch square. My bolt is not perfectly square; it is even a little sloppy. Place a layer or two of electrical tape over the end sides before putting on any socket and the socket will stay on without a problem.

To keep the shaft collar in the large socket, back out the set screw until two threads or so are visible, then press the collar into the socket with a little force. When assembled, the drill will spin the big socket, the collar can't avoid spinning with it, the one-way clutch engages the filed bolt, which drives the smaller socket. (Expect a little wobble when spinning; this is not precision-made equipment.) When the engine starts, the smaller socket and bolt spins fast, and the one-way clutch disengages. Now just slowly pull the starter assembly away from the magneto nut. (I recommend you wear leather-finger gloves from Home Depot to avoid skin injury.) Note there is no hole drilling or thread tapping involved on the starter assembly.

I am going to cut a hole in the magneto cover to get to the 14 mm nut. Then cover the hole with velcro or tape while the engine is running.

I have not tried my assembly on my engine yet. But I know the one-way bearing will easily hold 10 ft-lbs of torque, a lot more than necessary to start an engine. I have no doubt it will work just fine.

MikeJ

Attachments

• 100_1549.jpg
    100_1549.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 555
  • 100_1550.jpg
    100_1550.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 528
Hi Pineiroadrian -

Your plans put me on the right track. I just did the leg work: discovering what a "one-way clutch" was, what to mount that in, what to mount that arrangement into (tin can? Hole saw? Socket?), machining items that are not at any hardware store, using common and simple hand tools, and how to secure everything. Almost all of these steps are discoveries along the way. This is fairly typical of producing a prototype of anything. But having a vision of the finished product is the first thing that has to occur.

Thanks!
MikeJ

Let's patent it and start selling them! Whe can make
Themnpermanent by takin new magneto covers and mounting them on it. Sell as a kit to give all the bike guys out there drill start capable rigs :)

Wish I still had my bike so I could try this :(

We could always claim patent pending. But the Chinese government hackers probably have already stolen your concept, sold it to the underworld and will amplify it as a way of starting their own version of the Hummer. If they can get into the U.S. Gummit-all computers, this little web site won't stop them. The U.S. Air Force had a version of this for a long time. They used souped-up Buick 454 cid engines to start the SR-71 engines. They used bigger bearings. . . . .

You guys are great!!

ditto !!

MikeJ said:
I am going to cut a hole in the magneto cover to get to the 14 mm nut. Then cover the hole with velcro or tape while the engine is running.
be sure the hole seals up good.... If your mag gets wet it won't matter how you try to start it.

I tried a drill on a gas scooter and at first it worked fine but the threads ended up stripping

That's what happened to my last HT... ..worked for a while and then stripped. Wouldn't have been so bad if it was the nut, but the shaft stripped its threads.

Still be a good idea if the threads could be protected somehow.

Also, I used a plug for an electrical box to fill the hole...the ones that you use to fill unused holes in junction boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Goodtime65 and Ibdennyak -

Thanks for the heads-up. I will have to use a variable speed drill and gradually bring the shaft up to speed. Maybe there is a way to engage the clutch plate using a cut-down large diameter socket to make it kinda resembles a castle nut. Take the clutch plate off and drill mating holes into it around the shaft. Someday I will explore that. . . .

MikeJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back