Drilling holes in engine case mount?

Neufcruz

Local time
2:29 PM
image.jpg
image.jpg
if I remove studs, fill holes to make stronger, do you see any issues with drilling to holes ( as shown) to run some bolts through to mount universal mount (as shown?)
This seams to be the easiest without getting some custom place to cnc me a piece. Should work if that engine case/mount is strong enough. Sorry pics are sideways.
Thoughts please!

should be no problem - on some with totally hosed mounts, I'll even go back a bit more & toward center a bit to mount a piece of angle iron to make a mount

should be no problem - on some with totally hosed mounts, I'll even go back a bit more & toward center a bit to mount a piece of angle iron to make a mount

Great and thanks. Once I get this mounted then I can fab an exhaust piece and start mounting electrical etc...
Getting close

ditto that. that whole lug sticking out of the case is solid... well, it doesnt connect to inside the crankcase in anyway... drill away :)

ditto that. that whole lug sticking out of the case is solid... well, it doesnt connect to inside the crankcase in anyway... drill away :)[/QUOTE
This looks like a good way and still look ok. Trying to keep a clean look. One thing I'm now concerned is if that the large back universal mount would ge in way of chain. I have the ice cnc spring loaded chain tensioner, so I will now put that on and see ow things fit.
Funny, once I solve one issue, another arises.
It's still fun figuring these thing out, of course with all the help from you guys.
Mike

I don't think you would even have to fill the stud holes.
A rule of thumb is to have the same depth as the diameter.
So for a 6mm stud, you should have at least 6mm of depth.
You have much more than this there.

Steve

Thanks guys but I overthought this and solved my initial space issue and getting carb level by simply smashing the filter down some. 2 weeks of headaches and bashing my head against the wall solved in 30 secs. :)

Ha! Been there buddy. That is where it is good to have a friend in on the project with you.

2 heads are 4 times better than 1.

Steve
Yeah, totally over analyzed it. Finally getting some time this week to work on it so hopefully can get the windowed piston in and officially mount the engine. Then wait for the next hurdle:)
Thanks
Mike

Don't make the window too big.
The Yamaha Blaster comes stock with a windowed piston and I learned NOT to make the holes any larger.
(that is not what caused this stock piston failure. It was rpm and too much clearance)
They are barely strong enough as is. No room for modification.
We (my son and I) pull the cylinder frequently and check the pistons for cracks.
He hates doing it because we often find them. Not looking does not make the cracks go away!

181515_10150134020680803_4486083_n.jpg

(right piston is a forged cold seize also called a 4 corner seize)

Steve

Back