Drive chain

I bought a chain breaker for $15. Then I tried to open the chain that came with the kit,,, and it broke my chain breaker...(I have used a chain breaker before... but the chain that came with the kit is too tough. I need someone to help me on how to open my chain without a chain breaker.
It will be appreciated. thnx

Also how am I supposed to get the chain throgh the ""mini sprocket"" in the engine. When it doesnt turn??? let me know thnx

Chain installation

Take out the spark plug and then use the plug spanner to turn the nut on the end of the 10 tooth sprocket and feed through the chain....... You can leave the plug in but you are turning the engine against the compression, easier with the plug out.....

Regards Al

After the chain is installed how much """Drag will there be on pedaling""".

Will I be able to go long distances without the motor on???? let me know

i don't have much additional resistence at all. i think the main thing is having to pedal around with an extra 20+ pounds of metal on your bike. don't worry about it. :D

Chain drag

If the clutch is adjusted correctly there is a slight drag but you can put up with it for a short distance...... If I had to pedal for more than a mile or so I would remove the chain from the rear wheel sprocket and leave it on the engine sprocket and tie the chain ends to the frame with tape...

Hey but when you have the engine up and running you will find the only time you want to pedel is if you have to go real slow like in shopping centres and pedestrian foot paths...

Regards Al

I bought a chain breaker for under $3 at walmart, the o81 chain is too big so you have to break out the 2 or 4 little tabs inside the part that holds the chain. When you try to screw the pin in the chain wants to turn outward. I just hold the chain in with a pliers and turn the breaker pin. It took me forever to figure that out but thats all you need to do and it works easy.

I used a $5 chain breaker and a pair of pliers too. At first it doesn't look like it's going to work, but the pin eventually starts coming out. Glad to know I don't need to keep the motorcycle chain on there.

I got a brick and put the chain down on it and drove a screwdriver (a good sized one)between the links and with a few good wacks it split and poped apart.
No big problem. I've done it alot of times and never used or owned a chain tool proper. I've done it with all types and sizes of chain and split the all. Peace to all Tom in WV

Back