Drive chain

Chain adjustment.

A couple of other things that make life easier are:
1. Half Links- These are a chain link that are male on one end and female on the other. They are used to shorten the chain by the distance of one link rather than the standard two links when you shorten a chain. As they are an oddball part as far as strength is concerned, I recomend their use on the pedal side only. They are are available at bicycle shops and some hardware stores in a multitude of sizes.
2. BMX Chain Tensioners- Used in pairs on rear facing axle slots, these are a washer welded to a threaded rod going through a bridge with a nut on the rod. The washer is placed over the axle, the bridge is placed over the axle slot nubs, and the nut is tightened drawing the axle rearward. This allows for exact chain tensioning and tire alignment. Those with forward facing slots must rely on less advanced methods involving cursing,wrenching,cursing,repeat. BMX Tensioners are available at bicycle shops but not at hardware stores, or online or you could make them.

i was kinda glad to see that heavy duty chain, one less thing to worry about. my $3 bicycle chain tool cut it like butter. the trick is being sure everything's lined up correctly before you apply any pressure.

and i did notice right away that when pedaling you have to d-r-a-g that chain around that little sprocket, my 5-speed takes care of that, but if i want to do any long-distance pedaling i'm gonna need another bike.

Sprocket placement

i just finished taking off the drive sprocket, flipping it around, and putting it all back together. the install instructions from thatsdax say to put the sprocket on with the offset going inward. i did this on both of my bikes and found that it is too close to the tire- it rubs on it sometimes. by flipping it around the other way, i moved away from the tire a good 1/4 inch or more. i don't have any problems with the clearance between the chain and the frame.

just thought i'd let you guys know what i found to work for me.

peace :D

istbenz, i thought of exactly the same thing...make sure you use the idler to properly line up the chain to the sprocket's new position. also, because of your previous posts, i put some thought into where to place the idler: notice i have mine where, if it should "rotate" in, it will contact the rim, not the tire or spokes...might save you a few more dings on the noggin ;)

HI, Thats a good thought about placement of the idler . I think I'll move mine to be inline with the rim also. I could picture it tearing out a bunch of spokes as I sailed over the moon. Thanks for the tidbit.... Tom in WV...............PS I still think a repair maintance manual ------------------------------------ I'll pass the hat and send you a couple cases...........

good idea with the idler. the thing is i don't use one! i found that it really doesn't fit that well on the frame (hence the rotation into the spokes). i just got a half link and that seems to be working quite well. i have noticed that the chain is stretching out a bit though and i'll probably have to order a new assy. when it gets too loose.

try hammering the old one flatter & see how that fits before you bother buying a new one...?

Guys I have told you about that chain streching you might have to adjust it once and then it is good to go try your tenson adjustment for just a 1/2 a link or just pull a link.

well what i said about needing a tensioner soon has come to be. i was riding home from work wed. and POW! the chain fell off and got wedged in the sprocket. :cry:

i ordered anther tensioner from dax and i think i'll pound it down before puting it on. i replaced my chain with bicycle chain and now that i want to use the heavier chain, i can't find it. :cry: (this is from a guy who doesn't throw anything away). i'll try the bike chain with the new tensioner and if i have chain problems i guess i'll buy a heavy chain

NOTE!- do not leave home without your leatherman tool. i had to walk home while carrying the back of the bike because i was unable to remove the offending chain. now i know!

good ole istbenz, carrying the load for the rest of us 8)

glad you're ok this time! :D

Back