Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info guys! I didn't get a sprocket puller as I bought my bike assembled already. But after seeing a youtube video by bikeberry, I did it with the sproket still attached.
Now I got a new problem. The chain goes on the sprocket fine now, but the chain is TOO SHORT!!! WTF?

I've removed the tensioner, but its still too short. If I have both ends sitting on wheel sprocket, it is short by 2 teeth. 1 tooth if I count the master link.

What do I do? Do I need a longer chain? Or can I just add links from my old chain?
I've tried removing some links from my old chain, but the cheap chain tool I bought from ebay is crap, and the pin never pushes the rivet through, as the chain seems to move on tightening. :(

I'm starting to get really frustrated with this bike, lol, a new issue at every step.

don't usually see short chains - is it 110 links?, is motor bolted to seat stay with spacers at front mount for longer frames?

one can grind or file pins down till a nail will push them thru to add links

Thats what I thought, the chain should be long enough.
I don't know how many links the chain is. Heres a photo of how its mounted.

bike1.jpg

I am pulling it as tight as I can but cannot pull it tight enough to close the chain. Even though there seems to be plenty of slack on the bottom when i have both ends resting on the wheel sprocket.
Is there a trick to pulling the chain tighter?

If I can tighten the chain by one more tooth, I can close it with my master link.

I had a friend who used to do my work for me, and he has successfully used this exact chain before (ordered from the same place).

If I can't figure it out, I will go to the bike store to buy a quality chain breaker so I can add links and close them onto my chain. I'd rather avoid spending the extra $ though as I am already way over budget on my project.

Last edited:
I had the chain length issue too. im dealing with it today actually LOL but its ok what seems to happen is some chains sent by a company from ebay seem to send short chains. what i suggest is getting a NEW chain because the ones that come with an engine kit are what i call a butter chain. they are thin and very bad. but you can look up KMC industrial chains. these are the highest quality. i order mine from a lady lynn. her site is custommotoredbicycles.com

http://custommotoredbicycles.com/parts_for_motorized_bicycles_3_sprockets_415_chain

KMC UNDUSTRIAL 415 SPEED CHAIN,upgraded but not as thick as the thick kit chains. Great when there are tire clearance issues. Pin Length 10.70mm,Link Height 9.83mm, 1/2 X 3/16. Works well on Maniac Mechanic Sprocket adapters.$14.00

KMC 415

Pitch - P 0.5 in

Pin Length 0.421in 10.73mm

Pin Diameter - D 0.143in 3.65mm

Roller Width - W 0.191in 4.89mm

Roller Diameter - R 0.304in 7.71mm

Plate Height - H 0.387in 9.86mm

Plate Thickness - T 0.044in 1.07mm

Overall Width - F 0.209in

Overall Width - G 0.213in

Average Weight Per Foot 0.19lb

Average Ultimate Strength 2,000lb

Finish Carbon Steel

NOTE: she is really sweet TALKATIVE woman. she has helped me with alot of issues i come by. she also sells alot better chain tentioners. like the spring loaded an arc tentioners. i know it might be pricy but that is what google is for. (search prices) :p

Thanks for the tip frostic.

Unfortunately I can't find any dealers in Australia where I live and I want to get this bike up and running asap. (I planned to have it running Monday just past lol)
I will order the KMC chain, but in the meantime will find some other solution.

Anyways, I am gonna see if I can move my rear wheel forward a little bit to make the current chain fit. Not sure its doable on my bike but will give it a go.

Thanks for the info guys! I didn't get a sprocket puller as I bought my bike assembled already. But after seeing a youtube video by bikeberry, I did it with the sproket still attached.
Now I got a new problem. The chain goes on the sprocket fine now, but the chain is TOO SHORT!!! WTF?

I've removed the tensioner, but its still too short. If I have both ends sitting on wheel sprocket, it is short by 2 teeth. 1 tooth if I count the master link.

What do I do? Do I need a longer chain? Or can I just add links from my old chain?
I've tried removing some links from my old chain, but the cheap chain tool I bought from ebay is crap, and the pin never pushes the rivet through, as the chain seems to move on tightening. :(

I'm starting to get really frustrated with this bike, lol, a new issue at every step.
Thats an easy fix, you can....
- move the back of the motor down more
- move the back wheel of the bike in closer
- get a smaller back sprocket
- get a longer chain
All should work if its only one link you need.

but remember 1 thing. dont try to run it without a chain tentioner. or the chain will pop off if the sprocket is not perfectly aligned so make sure you use a chain tentioner.
it is not only to tention it but to align the chain also :)

but remember 1 thing. dont try to run it without a chain tentioner. or the chain will pop off if the sprocket is not perfectly aligned so make sure you use a chain tentioner.
it is not only to tention it but to align the chain also :)
Have to disagree here.
It's better to NOT use tensioner because most tensioners don't work well, plus it's another thing to slow down the chain.....

I recommend them if you have vertical dropouts because then you don't have a way to tighten the chain:)

Well i use the arch tensioner and weld it to the frame. and you should weld any tensioner on if you can get access to a welder. that makes it permanant and with the arch tentioner you can still adjust it. it has 2 contact points not like the others.
ixzen75.png
10" arch tensioner and the maniac mechanic sprocket seen here is the best setup i have found. the sprocket mounts to the HUB not the spokes. it is pricy but worth it... all my bike builds have this^^

415 chain is a generic for the pitch 415 comes in 3 widths 415s the one you need a slim chain same as on aprillia and yamaha 50 cc or 415 or 415 h you have been sold a heavy duty wider chain which is fouling the casing do not ever ever ever file or grind your sprockets if the chain doesnt fit you have been sold a rolling chain ie industrial these engines dont need one and want fit file your sprocket it will last about 100 miles as you have taken all of the case hardening off it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back