Drive Sprocket won't give me a break

I assume the rear sprocket is already dished out, so to get more room, some steel plates can be made to fit between the sprocket and the outside rubber of the rag joint - note that too much will run chain into frame

I have to agree with @Frankenstein that the tapered shaft/ sprocket interface precludes the use of a spacer behind the sprocket.

3/16 chain is entirely overkill. 3/32" chain is available as five/six/seven speed chain or as a single speed chain for BMX racing and bicycle trials. The multi speed chain should allow more offset between the front and rear sprockets, but it's best to minimise that anyway. To use the 3/32" chain you will probably need to remove the sprocket and grind the teeth narrower. Grind only the right side of the teeth to bring the chain line further left.
Some members said their sprockets can run 1/8" chain without modification, but that would not allow you to move the whole chain line further left, it would just be narrower so might only gain you 1/32" of extra space.

I'm using a super light 11/124" nine speed chain and its perfectly strong enough, and shifted over to the left without the need for any front sprocket spacer.

The stock chain can go in the bin, or be used for holding a boat anchor. :p

Last edited:
Back