Drivetrain for a bike

Tedd_12

Local time
8:57 AM
I have got an old Suffolk Engine that I want to put on a bicycle but I don't know what I'll need to make it drive the back wheel.
There is nothing on the main shaft.

Got a picture of the engine and a measurement of the crank diameter?
IMG_20210329_162953805.jpg

The Shaft is roughly 20mm in diameter

Nice looking vintage engine, probably 3/4" shaft. Which gives you lots of options for drive gear. The easiest is a centrifugal clutch and a jack shaft. Of course you'll have to fab a mount. Nice to see that go on a vintage-ish bike.

Nice looking vintage engine, probably 3/4" shaft. Which gives you lots of options for drive gear. The easiest is a centrifugal clutch and a jack shaft. Of course you'll have to fab a mount. Nice to see that go on a vintage-ish bike.

Yeah, I can put the clutch on the one of the crank shaft and have a sprocket on the other side of it. But what is a Jack Shaft. As I'm completely new to this. This will be my first project.

You might should consider a rear rack mount for the engine. Another thing that'll be a must is putting a kill switch in. If you have a problem especially while riding (and you will, it happens to us all) you'll need to be able to quickly kill the engine. That's why most builders mount the switch on the handle bars near a hand.

You might should consider a rear rack mount for the engine. Another thing that'll be a must is putting a kill switch in. If you have a problem especially while riding (and you will, it happens to us all) you'll need to be able to quickly kill the engine. That's why most builders mount the switch on the handle bars near a hand.
That's a good idea. To have the drivetrain go downwards. Still not sure what other parts I might need other than a centrifugal clutch.

If you can weld, get a steel bicycle frame. You can buy welders very cheap for them. An aluminum frame will require a tig welder and they can cost several hundreds of dollars even for a used one.

If you're unsure about the metal in a frame just do the magnet test. Steel will stick.

Back