Dropped a washer into my crankcase :(

bluewall

Local time
10:06 AM
I dropped a washer in and cant seem to get it out. If i put it back together like this will it destroy my engine? I really dont want to take apart the entire motor and don't have a bearing puller to even do that.

I dropped a washer in and cant seem to get it out. If i put it back together like this will it destroy my engine? I really dont want to take apart the entire motor and don't have a bearing puller to even do that.
I don't know enough about engines to say for certain but I'd go with Yes it will destroy it. You can take the engine off the bike and tip it upside down maybe? Train a mouse or shrew to fetch washers for food rewards, lol. Or perhaps use a magnet taped to some wire?
Good luck anyway. :)

whats wrong with tipping the engine upside down and giving it a few shakes?

little magnet on a stick, sure, it will want to grap the shaft instead but hey, ive gotten worse things out of worse places.

one of those little "parts grabbers" that you find at auto shops...

just leave it and wonder why your engine has a sudden failure in the next few minutes...of course you cant leave it in there! :p

bearing puller? as long as you get the magneto off, and either the clutch or the sprocket off, the cases split easy.

cut a small strip off a refrigerator magnet & tape it to a piece of coat hanger wire to feel around for it

Is the washer steel and is it a 2 stroke? Kinda relevant.

Assuming yes, fiddly but doable methinks.

Hang it by ropes etc. so can move it any which way, Some form of stethoscope to track it down from rattles and electromagnet may help. The grease idea is good too.

The exhaust port sounds the simplest access

Already tried magnet and shaking it upside down before posting this. Both did not work so I guess I'll try the grease. I don't need to go through the exhaust port because I have the jug off. But is that really true that you don't need to take off the bearings to split the motor apart?

Also yes it's a two stroke and I'm not sure if the washer is conductive, I'll check the other one. Thanks guys

Try taking off the magnet and turning it upside down the magnet makes the crankshaft magnetic so might be stuck to the shaft

This reminds me of that time I dropped a washer in my crankcase but I actually dropped it on the floor.

They sell mini periscopes on ebay that hook right up to your phone, and even come with fancy add ons. I bought one very recently, haven't used it yet for problem fixing, but I tested it out and I can see the hook attachment being of valued use

Back