Dropping nexus 3 hub for flip flop?

Local time
12:55 PM
Hello,

What would be a good choice of rear wheel style for a 700c bike (pre-made) looking to debate rather the nexus 3 should be dropped...

Decided to drop as to keep the same bike build.....

The Briggs I am leaving it alone and putting it up for sale with the throttle and Clevis conversion......

Anything I wanted to do I can do on the same frame....

Looking for standard wheel only single/ dual Co non fixed on one side....

Or may convert it to a mtb drive system with 21 speeds.

You're considering a flip flop or a seven speed hub for the same frame? o_O

What is the O.L.D. of your old hub?
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
Read it,

Frame spacing not an issue as its steel frame the problem is the nexus 3 hub shells to fat to clear a kit rear wheel sprocket.

It's about 4.17 inches in diameter chain sprockets usually about 2 inches..

Unless the cap can be removed off the axle from what I hear the nexus 3 cap is nothing but a shell grease fitting.

You're considering a flip flop or a seven speed hub for the same frame? o_O

What is the O.L.D. of your old hub?
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

So I've done some researching and that I need a hub adapter but dislike the adapters because I had a issue with a friends bike who's adapter would blow the spokes on his chopper no matter how well they where torqued down.

After watching this video from bbr tuning they recommend a hub that is found here.
http://www.bikeberry.com/bbr-tuning-adapter-only.html

Is this actually mandatory or can the original sprocket be bored out to fit like the adapter set up.

I know someone's going to say "damn Phil stop cutting corners."

I just feel the same way about these types of things.

So I've done some researching and that I need a hub adapter but dislike the adapters because I had a issue with a friends bike who's adapter would blow the spokes on his chopper no matter how well they where torqued down.

After watching this video from bbr tuning they recommend a hub that is found here.
http://www.bikeberry.com/bbr-tuning-adapter-only.html

Is this actually mandatory or can the original sprocket be bored out to fit like the adapter set up.

I know someone's going to say "damn Phil stop cutting corners."

I just feel the same way about these types of things.
Great now I have to clear my cookies. The link isn't to a product it's to some sh!tty third party marketing thing. Typical of this company. :mad:

I wouldn't expect any clamshell adapter to fit the diameter of an IGH. Personally I use a disc mount adapter that is usually called a top hat adapter. I made my own so I'm not tied to importing the matching sprockets from the USA. Disc mount adapters don't slip, and they pull the wheel around by turning the hub, pulling on the spokes lengthwise, not by pushing on the side of them.

I guess I'm saying bore out the kit sprocket, use the crappy kit rag joint and hope your spokes are strong enough. :rolleyes:

Great now I have to clear my cookies. The link isn't to a product it's to some sh!tty third party marketing thing. Typical of this company. :mad:

I wouldn't expect any clamshell adapter to fit the diameter of an IGH. Personally I use a disc mount adapter that is usually called a top hat adapter. I made my own so I'm not tied to importing the matching sprockets from the USA. Disc mount adapters don't slip, and they pull the wheel around by turning the hub, pulling on the spokes lengthwise, not by pushing on the side of them.

I guess I'm saying bore out the kit sprocket, use the crappy kit rag joint and hope your spokes are strong enough. :rolleyes:

Yeah, my WHIZZER sheave claims use 12g spokes but my spokes are 14 gauge haven't snapped one yet under 3HP direct power. I thought adapters was a waste of time for all that I could sell the wheels and shifter and buy a Mag set not like the shops didn't say my hub was worn out already anyway. They also said my rims permanently bent but I still built it and guess what once they retrued it along with the sheave being on it somehow managed to rebalance it self.

But anyway those nexus 3's are garbage anyway.

A lot of people say you will never ever get the internal brakes to stop screeching which is why I'd rather dump nexus period.

I'd figure a bore out would have been the cheapest step.

The bike shifts good, regardless of what has been said, it has been supplying great mileage with and without motor.

Back