Dual chain tensioner

Wolfie65

Local time
8:10 AM
So here is my Ferrari by Huffy project, originally a 5-speed road bike, most likely 1970s or 80s, label says made in USA. As you can see from the close-up, I have to use both the kit chain tensioner as well as a spring-loaded clutch case mounted one, because of the rather acute angle of the chain stays. If I use only the kit one, the master link, which is just a hair wider than the other links, rubs on the roller wheel, making a very disconcerting cracking sound, regardless of where I position the tensioner. If I use only the spring-loaded tensioner, the chain is either tight as a drum and rubbing rather violently on the chainstay or - adding a link - very sloppy and rubbing against itself just east of the clutch cover. Using 2 tensioners hasn't completely eliminated the problem- master link still pops a little - but has made it a lot better.
PHO00050.JPG
PHO00046.JPG

So here is my Ferrari by Huffy project, originally a 5-speed road bike, most likely 1970s or 80s, label says made in USA. As you can see from the close-up, I have to use both the kit chain tensioner as well as a spring-loaded clutch case mounted one, because of the rather acute angle of the chain stays. If I use only the kit one, the master link, which is just a hair wider than the other links, rubs on the roller wheel, making a very disconcerting cracking sound, regardless of where I position the tensioner. If I use only the spring-loaded tensioner, the chain is either tight as a drum and rubbing rather violently on the chainstay or - adding a link - very sloppy and rubbing against itself just east of the clutch cover. Using 2 tensioners hasn't completely eliminated the problem- master link still pops a little - but has made it a lot better.View attachment 178990View attachment 178989
Nice bike!

So here is my Ferrari by Huffy project, originally a 5-speed road bike, most likely 1970s or 80s, label says made in USA. As you can see from the close-up, I have to use both the kit chain tensioner as well as a spring-loaded clutch case mounted one, because of the rather acute angle of the chain stays. If I use only the kit one, the master link, which is just a hair wider than the other links, rubs on the roller wheel, making a very disconcerting cracking sound, regardless of where I position the tensioner. If I use only the spring-loaded tensioner, the chain is either tight as a drum and rubbing rather violently on the chainstay or - adding a link - very sloppy and rubbing against itself just east of the clutch cover. Using 2 tensioners hasn't completely eliminated the problem- master link still pops a little - but has made it a lot better.View attachment 178990View attachment 178989
Good job on locating both tensioners. I had the same plan on my first build. I like the plastic pulleys with the side flanges they work best. Did you see the tensioner a member posted?
I saw your post ordering exhaust I have a brand new exhaust pipe I ordered from bikeberry a year and a half ago and never used. Take a look see if you like. I could sell you for 75.00 + shipping

Attachments

• 20230708_053826.jpg
    20230708_053826.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230708_053641.jpg
    20230708_053641.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 57
Back