Dual Rag Joint Idea

YetiWoodz

Local time
2:54 AM
I heard the rag joint may put too much stress on the spokes and the hub adaptor I know slides and bends spokes. I saw posts about modifying the hub adaptor by tapping set screws in it and other methods.

I kinda want to see if I could improve the rag joint. I was thinking about putting 2 rag joints on my wheel, one on each side of the hub. Then connect them with a longer version of the bolts they come with. And nuts on the bolts on both inner sides and the end opposite the bolt head to clamp them all down.

20210129_192532.jpg
My thinking is that if the sprocket can be mounted to all spokes instead of half, it'll be the same as mounting it to the hub since the hub is only being supported by the spokes as well. But there's no chance of slipping.

It might only work on single speeds since the cassette sticks out farther on the pedaling side which means enough room for the rag joint. It'll save about $10 too.

Just seeing if anyone tried this and if it failed or there's any flaws in the idea before I try it out.

I heard the rag joint may put too much stress on the spokes and the hub adaptor I know slides and bends spokes. I saw posts about modifying the hub adaptor by tapping set screws in it and other methods.

I kinda want to see if I could improve the rag joint. I was thinking about putting 2 rag joints on my wheel, one on each side of the hub. Then connect them with a longer version of the bolts they come with. And nuts on the bolts on both inner sides and the end opposite the bolt head to clamp them all down.

View attachment 103234My thinking is that if the sprocket can be mounted to all spokes instead of half, it'll be the same as mounting it to the hub since the hub is only being supported by the spokes as well. But there's no chance of slipping.

It might only work on single speeds since the cassette sticks out farther on the pedaling side which means enough room for the rag joint. It'll save about $10 too.

Just seeing if anyone tried this and if it failed or there's any flaws in the idea before I try it out.
People have already done what you are about to do. I hear it works good

Should work but going to be a b*tch to install, the hub adaptor works great if you pin it not with set screws but an actual pin right into the hub, but then there is nothing better than solid hub mount using a disc type hub you know it's concentric and not going anywhere!
How many pins and how big and how deep does it go into the hub?

If you get a roll pin and drill the hole slightly smaller in your adaptor. A roll pin needs to compress a bit to work effectively, and then drill a hole in the hub for the pin to go into. You won't need more than a 1/2" of pin, 1/4" in both sides.
How many pins and how big and how deep does it go into the hub?

So I think it’s kind a like the pin in the throttle assembly. Those 2 strokes that come in the motor kits.

I also think you could use a couple pins out of a chain like a single speed one. Those pins might not be long enough but I’m going to try this in future. If mine slips again.

Back