Duck, Duck, Mongoose.

I have finally settled on my next bike. It's a steel frame Mongoose Creekside. This bikes sole purpose will be speed and R&D. I've had this bike for some time and have already replaced all the bearings with sealed cartridges in the headset and bottom bracket. It had brand new everything as I had just rebuilt the bike before I stumbled upon this motorized bicycle craze.
This bike is going to be the recipient of the Dio Reed Sleeved Stroker Engine I'm building. The Jack shaft kit has been ordered along with another Oko carb. The rear rack is going and the seat is getting lowered and pulled back.
Going get rid of the suspension forks and go with a set of 30" triple trees forks with clip on bars. I'm still undecided about the gas tank but I'm sure I'll think of something and change my mind 10 times long before then. This build isnt in a rush to finish as I still have really never finished the Rambler yet and need to finish up the lighting system I have for it. And im also getting married for the first time in October and I have lots to do before the wedding. I will however keep the build updated as it progresses.
20190731_215831.jpg
20190731_215939.jpg
20190627_195056.jpg
20190731_220138.jpg
20190731_220226.jpg

20190731_220158.jpg
20190731_220215.jpg
20190731_220226.jpg

Attachments

• 20190731_220143.jpg
    20190731_220143.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 405
This is by no means a real n20 system. It's just a small microburst system. I'm skeptical if it's even going to work or what gains it will give. However I thought I'd give it a try. According to their website it's good for any rpm range and best at WOT. Its not really something im going to be using regularly just something I wanted to try out. I definately being running it on the rich side when I do test it out. If it melts then I guess I build another one.
Oh ok I get ya!

Id like to ask a question GC..

Would the NuVinci CVT Hub handle the energy of one of these gas engines,,, lets say 3 ish hp...

Don
uummmm usually its not horse power that defines the strength of a component, but torque.... You can probably get away with running a bearing at 10rpm or 100 or 1000rpm it doesn't give a damn, and so do most parts.... But you run a lot of torque and it will care.... So you'll be fine, probably in India they would get away with plastic parts on that....

A paper shredder is like 0.2hp yet the gearing is cast metal gears not plastic due to the high torque...

Consider a conventional 1MW Wind Turbine, they are around 1500hp but built like a tank. The bearings are huge with large gearing systems and thick steel machining....
Those blades have a huge amount of Torque as Torque is the product of Force and Distance, them being 100ft long....

A medium sized diesel engine of 1500hp is not as beefy as a wind turbine due to much less torque....

Id like to ask a question GC..

Would the NuVinci CVT Hub handle the energy of one of these gas engines,,, lets say 3 ish hp...

Don
The short answer is yes. I'm not going to get into wind turbines 1500 hp diesels or plastic made in india , but I have been running a NuVinci for over 2 years with a engine with enough torque to (with the NuVinci) stand the bike straight up in the air and force you to hop off the back and run with it.

Not one single malfunction with this hub. Pair it with a good double wall rim and quality spokes. It will cruise at 30 around half throttle. These hubs are ideal for motorized bikes.

To get the real benefits form the hub you need to get a good pipe and do some engine work. Get a good head and pipe. Do some port work. Dial in the squish gap. Put all this on a bike with god brakes, and you will never go back to single speed again. Also use the sick bike parts jack shaft with the HD free wheel. Money well spent.

Yeah, the question is what is the smallest chainring I can run (or over all jackshaft ratio) at my peak torque of xxNm, to avoid a disaster? 🙂
On my engine the sprocket allows a 410 so I use KTM 710 kool chain from engine to j shaft, same 710 from j shaft to outer sprocket at the pedals, and 810 Kool chain inner sprocket to hub. No issues. Of course if the engine sprocket wouldn't allow the 410 KTM makes a damn good 415.

On my engine the sprocket allows a 410 so I use KTM 710 kool chain from engine to j shaft, same 710 from j shaft to outer sprocket at the pedals, and 810 Kool chain inner sprocket to hub. No issues. Of course if the engine sprocket wouldn't allow the 410 KTM makes a damn good 415.
I wasn't even thinking about the chain. Only the torque transfer inside the hub. 😮
You think the final drive chain could snap before the NuVinci hub's torque transfer fluid would slip? 🤔 I would bet on the chain, whether 410 or 415 as long as its proper metal. 💪

Last edited:
The nuvinci hub can handle all the torque and power I throw at it however my hub developed a leak where the hub is pressed together. Once the fluid leaked out, the hub very quickly burned up and started slipping. This happened just last week and I'm getting a new hub laced into the wheel. I'm going with a Sturmey archer rs-rk3 hub this time.
15905750067281641229121949607441.jpg

Back