Duck, Duck, Mongoose.

I have finally settled on my next bike. It's a steel frame Mongoose Creekside. This bikes sole purpose will be speed and R&D. I've had this bike for some time and have already replaced all the bearings with sealed cartridges in the headset and bottom bracket. It had brand new everything as I had just rebuilt the bike before I stumbled upon this motorized bicycle craze.
This bike is going to be the recipient of the Dio Reed Sleeved Stroker Engine I'm building. The Jack shaft kit has been ordered along with another Oko carb. The rear rack is going and the seat is getting lowered and pulled back.
Going get rid of the suspension forks and go with a set of 30" triple trees forks with clip on bars. I'm still undecided about the gas tank but I'm sure I'll think of something and change my mind 10 times long before then. This build isnt in a rush to finish as I still have really never finished the Rambler yet and need to finish up the lighting system I have for it. And im also getting married for the first time in October and I have lots to do before the wedding. I will however keep the build updated as it progresses.
20190731_215831.jpg
20190731_215939.jpg
20190627_195056.jpg
20190731_220138.jpg
20190731_220226.jpg

20190731_220158.jpg
20190731_220215.jpg
20190731_220226.jpg

Attachments

• 20190731_220143.jpg
    20190731_220143.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 405
This got me looking at these rims and even with the cross 2 lacing the spokes are bent at the nipples. It almost looks like it's the eyelets that cause the spokes the be bent.
Mine are even worse then that. 2 years now and no problems. Hope it stays that way.

Nipples.
I'm sure nearly all spokes are a bit bent at the top of the thread, including mine, so it's only a problem if it's more than a tiny bit bent.
The weakest part of the wheel has to be somewhere. It's the best place on the wheel to put the weakest part.
It's the weakest part anyway, probably, 'specially if you have butted spokes.

Motorcycle and moped rims usually/often have dimples around the spoke holes, which are often drilled directionally, but bicycle rims don't have that.

Nipples.
I'm sure nearly all spokes are a bit bent at the top of the thread, including mine, so it's only a problem if it's more than a tiny bit bent.
The weakest part of the wheel has to be somewhere. It's the best place on the wheel to put the weakest part.
It's the weakest part anyway, probably, 'specially if you have butted spokes.

Motorcycle and moped rims usually/often have dimples around the spoke holes, which are often drilled directionally, but bicycle rims don't have that.

Damn.., they’s jus’ TOO many good’uns in that... I best keep m’ mouth shut! 🤣🤣🤣

Back