Duck, Duck, Mongoose.

I have finally settled on my next bike. It's a steel frame Mongoose Creekside. This bikes sole purpose will be speed and R&D. I've had this bike for some time and have already replaced all the bearings with sealed cartridges in the headset and bottom bracket. It had brand new everything as I had just rebuilt the bike before I stumbled upon this motorized bicycle craze.
This bike is going to be the recipient of the Dio Reed Sleeved Stroker Engine I'm building. The Jack shaft kit has been ordered along with another Oko carb. The rear rack is going and the seat is getting lowered and pulled back.
Going get rid of the suspension forks and go with a set of 30" triple trees forks with clip on bars. I'm still undecided about the gas tank but I'm sure I'll think of something and change my mind 10 times long before then. This build isnt in a rush to finish as I still have really never finished the Rambler yet and need to finish up the lighting system I have for it. And im also getting married for the first time in October and I have lots to do before the wedding. I will however keep the build updated as it progresses.
20190731_215831.jpg
20190731_215939.jpg
20190627_195056.jpg
20190731_220138.jpg
20190731_220226.jpg

20190731_220158.jpg
20190731_220215.jpg
20190731_220226.jpg

Attachments

• 20190731_220143.jpg
    20190731_220143.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 399
Thanks Gary on the Rambler I have engine 10
Left 17
Right 10
Outside 44
Inside was 40 just switched to 36 and improved low end torque
Rear wheel 28-14 shimano 5 speed freewheel.

I'm using KMC HL710 from engine to shaft and shaft to outer ring and KMC X8.93 from inner ring to rear wheel. I had to file the engine sprocket and j shaft sprockets for the chain to fit but it didnt take very much.
You may need to switch back to a 40 on the NuVinci. I can't seem to find my paperwork, but I believe it contains info for minimum ring to cog requirements. I used the Ebike numbers. I'm pretty sure it was 40 to 18. I think you can go as low as 33 to 18 if just using leg power, but it's too stressful on the hub with a engine. You won't need to go that small cause you will soon see it is plenty quick enough with the 40 18.

You may need to switch back to a 40 on the NuVinci. I can't seem to find my paperwork, but I believe it contains info for minimum ring to cog requirements. I used the Ebike numbers. I'm pretty sure it was 40 to 18. I think you can go as low as 33 to 18 if just using leg power, but it's too stressful on the hub with a engine. You won't need to go that small cause you will soon see it is plenty quick enough with the 40 18.
Good to know, I have a whole new jackshaft on the way for Ducky and a couple 40t chainrings kicking about, so I'll start off with the 40 .

Jog scooter pipe arrived today along with G25 1/8 clutch bearings.
View attachment 89638View attachment 89638View attachment 89639

I’m too fargin’ lazy’da do th’ math, Chris, but what’ya think the budget is on yer ‘Goose? I think a lotta folks see some o’ these, an’ think they’re gonna be ableda build somethin’ solid fer $500-$600. I don’t think they appreciate the $$ and time y’all put inda these righteous rigs. Think this one’s gonna be up there, and it’ll be awesome! 👍

[EDIT] That’s an improper question fer me t’ ask, Chris. That’s really none o’ my business. I just think it’d be good for folks to have some understanding that — to be structurally and operationally safe/reliable — this takes time, sound experience, and WallyWorld ain’t ever gonna have these on the floor.

Last edited:
I’m too fargin’ lazy’da do th’ math, Chris, but what’ya think the budget is on yer ‘Goose? I think a lotta folks see some o’ these, an’ think they’re gonna be ableda build somethin’ solid fer $500-$600. I don’t think they appreciate the $$ and time y’all put inda these righteous rigs. Think this one’s gonna be up there, and it’ll be awesome! 👍

[EDIT] That’s an improper question fer me t’ ask, Chris. That’s really none o’ my business. I just think it’d be good for folks to have some understanding that — to be structurally and operationally safe/reliable — this takes time, sound experience, and WallyWorld ain’t ever gonna have these on the floor.
It's kinda hard to say, there are certain tools and such that you need so does that get added to the build price? And then there's a ton of s**t I've ordered that either didnt work out or I change my mind so there's that extra cost as well. Plus there's the whole being my first bike and the learning curve and costs associated with that. And the biggest cost I think is living in Canada and having to pay ridiculous shipping costs on certain items and if im extra lucky I get to pay duty on it as well lol. I would say I've probably dropped $3000, easy on the Rambler so far, the mongoose is already over a 1000 with all the parts I've ordered for it so far. I probably could have bought an off the shelf build but I seen and heard lots of problems with them. If im doing over 50mph on a bicycle I want to be the guy that built and put it together so I know it's safe ( lol as safe as a 50mph bicycle can be). Last year when I got hooked on these dam bikes I bought a $200 engine kit and thought I'd be done. Lmao.
The price adds up really quick.

It's kinda hard to say, there are certain tools and such that you need so does that get added to the build price? And then there's a ton of sh*t I've ordered that either didnt work out or I change my mind so there's that extra cost as well. Plus there's the whole being my first bike and the learning curve and costs associated with that. And the biggest cost I think is living in Canada and having to pay ridiculous shipping costs on certain items and if im extra lucky I get to pay duty on it as well lol. I would say I've probably dropped $3000, easy on the Rambler so far, the mongoose is already over a 1000 with all the parts I've ordered for it so far. I probably could have bought an off the shelf build but I seen and heard lots of problems with them. If im doing over 50mph on a bicycle I want to be the guy that built and put it together so I know it's safe ( lol as safe as a 50mph bicycle can be). Last year when I got hooked on these dam bikes I bought a $200 engine kit and thought I'd be done. Lmao.
The price adds up really quick.

AH a Canada User, how close are you to michigan my friend

Back