Dui, And Evading On My Motor Assisted Bicycle

So Alan, you can't ride your MB on the street, like at all? No matter what?

According to the state laws, no we can't.

That doesn't seem to stop the countless flow of ATV'S, pocket bikes, 2 , 3, and 4 wheeled oddities, and everything else from rolling down the streets here. In a city like Philadelphia, the cops are so stressed by all the other bullcrap, they simply look the other way to the bikes, unless you're tearing up the street like an idiot.
I've been riding bikes legal, and some, very illegal, for decades, and never had a problem. Someday I might get a bad cop, but so far no problems. Also, I stay in my city. Outside the city limits, I would surely be fried.

Let this be a lesson to all of you: If you manage to evade and make it inside your home, grab whatever liquor you can find and down a couple of shots. Be sure to open the door with the bottle in hand when they come knockin' too! And yes, you "just started" drinking. :cool:

I actually served on a jury in a DUI/resisting arrest case, and the guy essentially walked away from his vehicle that he stuffed into the ditch, went into a nearby bar, and ordered 3 shots of whiskey. The only problem was that in the 15 minutes he was there, he hardly touched the first shot, then blew a .18 at the jail after the state police hauled him away. On top of that, he claimed that he had been at another bar and quit drinking a couple of hours before running into the ditch - where the cops found an empty bottle of Jack just outside the driver's door.

It was pretty laughable really. This guy had two solid opportunities to avoid being able to prove DUI against him by either staying with the vehicle and hanging onto the empty bottle while waiting for a tow, or by actually pounding the shots at the nearby bar! There was no way to prove he didn't exceed the legal alcohol limit AFTER running into the ditch if he had done either one. As it was, he couldn't prove he had consumed any noteable amount except by the breathalyzer an hour and a half after the accident.

I'm not trying to rub salt in any wounds with that story, but merely illustrating the point that reasonable doubt is easy to introduce on these things with a little forethought and planning. I'm also not relating this to advocate doing such things normally, as all of us on the jury revelled in being able to convict in that case, but sometimes, such as in this bicycle incident, the possible punishment does not fit the crime IMO.

I say plea bargain both charges down. A reckless driving and illegal operation of a motor vehicle charge may hurt your insurance cost a bit, but nothing like the DUI, and the eluding may be difficult for them to prove depending on what you said or what's on video. An overworked prosecutor may jump at the chance to skip nailing a minor offender so that he or she can work on something more important.

I have better advice- don't break the law.

[edit]

What I mean by this is that sure, we all make mistakes, but counselling someone to evade and go drink is not good advice. There are ways of determining BA level at a given point in time given levels taken later and actions taken in the mean time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have better advice- don't break the law.

[edit]

What I mean by this is that sure, we all make mistakes, but counselling someone to evade and go drink is not good advice. There are ways of determining BA level at a given point in time given levels taken later and actions taken in the mean time.

I won't argue the semantics of the latter beyond suggesting that it casts reasonable doubt into the issue. And I never suggested evading, but rather a means of damage control if one does. ;)

The former however IS certainly the best advice. I simply don't drive, ride, or travel anywhere if I have had more than one drink an hour. I, and most everybody, have far more to lose than driving privledges.

Drinking is....

Drinking is fine.. but Public drunkenness is not allowed here where I live. I had a friend many years ago, that was a drinker and a partier. I would ride with him on motorcycles to parties he would locate. He would go, I would say, see ya and ride off and go my own way. I loved riding too much to waste riding time drinking. But he would go and drink. After a party one night, his sister called me and informed me he was in hospital after crashing drunk on his motorcycle. He had a Kawasaki Mach III 500 Triple. I helped him build it. At any rate, he knocked a hole in his forehead and was give last rights by the local Pastor that was in the Hospital. I just walked by his bed in ICU and looked at this grown man in a Diaper with everything hanging out. And all the Tubes connected to his arms and Throat. The Doctors cut his throat to insert a Tracheotomy . I walked right past to the waiting room to find his mom and two sisters crying. They cried all over me. IT made me angry at Bruce "Bruce was his first name" to see him make his family cry like this. At any rate. I would visit him every day NOT. He was not there, I went to check on his family. He was out of it. DUI on a Mach III Triple really did the guy in. This was a fast bike for sure and I felt like I should have never helped him build the bike up to ride. But I did and this happened. I guess I ignored the fact he boozed so much. I was not a boozer. I was a rider.. I love to ride bikes.. Well.. About the 2nd week of Bruce being in ICU, I did my normal walk by his bed after leaving the waiting room. I would just pass by his bed with all the other people in there on the verge of death and beeping all over the place, only this time the nurse had him propped up in a chair and she was chainging his bed sheets, and as I passed by, he opened his eyes for a quick flash at me. Then closed them again. That was a first. I said nothing to anyone. After a month or so and no Insurance of course, he recovered enough to wind up at Craig Rehab center. He Then learned to walk again, eventually going home, getting a car, getting drunk again , and rear ending another car drunk, then skipping the state to FL. End of story.. Again.. Getting Drunk and Drunks suck!!! so..That is just one of my personal encounters with drunks. I just got a call from a man 4 days ago about one of my customers Killed on his Motor Assisted bicycle hit by a Drunk !! I am telling you.. I am fed up with Drunks !!! They are the worst !! Getting Drunk is one of the worst sins. And you can see why.. If god frowns on it , we should too. Let me say this.. If you must get drunk, Do it alone and at home, that way you can drown in your own vomit and there will be one less drunk in the world to kill a Motor Assisted Bicycle rider. Drunks are more than drunks, they are killers, and in some instances, murderers . This Thread really sets me off in a personal way. In case you have not guessed, I hate those that get Drunk !! I am done.. Thanks..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back