DUI

If I had been busted for all the times I drove drunk in my wild and crazy past, they would have to bring two ticket books. I just can't believe all the times when I was younger that I didn't even remember driving home. It's almost like I was protected in a class ball. I even was picked up by the airport cops for hitchhiking on their runways. I got them laughing and they said don't come back here again.
Wow, I could go on and on, don't worry, I won't. If I drink now it'll be where I sleep.
Doc

Heres a short story to let you know about the laws in West Virginia. DUI orDWI . My friend was drinking at a party about 4 blocks from his house and when it came time to ride his motorcycle home he was too drunk to ride the thing so affraid to leave it there he decided to push it home and off he goes. Cars where wizzing by so he turned the key on in order to turn the lights on so as not to get run over . Now he's puching the bike with the lights and key on and along comes the cop. Turns out that if the key is in and on the bike is concidered running even if its not running and he got arrested for DUI and lost his licence for 10 years cause it was his 2nd offence. One more and he will lose it for life no appeal no chance of ever getting it back. Welcome to West Virginia wild and wonderful. Oh I almost forgot this all happened on my friends birthday. Happy Birthday to You have the right to remain silent . TominWild and Wonderful WV

A friend of mine recently killed himself on a motorcycle while driving under the influence and I have several other friends that have been killed or are permanently affected by massive brain injuries. One guy was in a coma for 84 days. He had to re-learn how to walk and talk.

I've got a couple of opinions about this (remeber, these are only opinions!). First, if you plan on getting wasted, where ever it is, DON'T DRIVE THERE!! GET A RIDE DUMBARSE!! Then you can get as blotto as you want, puke all over yourself, passout, have your buddies draw all over your face etc... Second, if you insist on driving drunk, get drunk enough not to make it out of the parking lot so you don't friggin kill yourself or anyone else! All this goes for you pot smokers too. Yeah, you might think it just mellows you out, but it also impairs your decision making and reaction time.

as a former tow truck owner/driver, I have seen the effects of drunk driving far too many times
pulled many bodies, living and otherwise, from mangled messes of metal
( the worst were the little ones :( )
PLEASE... if you're gonna get wasted, get a ride from someone coherent !!!

I couldn't agree with you guys more. Not only can drunk driving be dangerous, but the consequences can be life ruining even if there are no accidents involved. I will never drive drunk again and I hope that others won't either. However, I still think the cops and judges here in AZ go zealously hunting for DUIs with ill intentions. I was in prison (not jail, actual prison) for my 2nd DUI with a guy that drank one beer while sitting next to his car. He never even got in it but since the keys were in his ignition, he spent 4 months in prison same as I did. All the more reason NOT to even think of drinking and driving.

This is in response to the following thread

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?p=90904#post90904

Back in 1992, after an evening of playing darts & drinking cold beer with my friends, I decided to drive home in my car. I was welcome to stay the night where I was, but chose to go on home.
On the way, I detoured to the Taco Bell drive-thru. With a sack of assorted tacos, I continued on toward my house, only to drive right into a DUI Check Point. I honestly thought I was OK....but guess what? I went to jail!!

What an inconvenience....the jailtime...the bail... the fines & fees for impound & mandatory alcohol education....suspended license...etc.

In 1997, my dumb*ss got another DUI.
More inconvenience...$1500 Lawyer... plus all those other things.

After this incident, I QUIT! Driving

Forget about the above mentioned inconveniences.
Those were my wake up calls.
I have since developed much better judgement on when I should or should not be on the road.

I am greatful I never killed or injured anybody.

I pedaled bicycles from 1997 to 2003, when I got my 1st power kit... (USPD Currie electric).
Shortly after I discovered Happytimes. (more than one meaning)

Thanks,
Dave

The younger ones here can learn a lot from some of us old days idiots. I think it is good to tell the reallity of the consequences. My cousin Mike was drunk and took out a stationwagon killing himself but took out a young family of five. Three children and there parents. I felt sad about my cousin but a lot worse for the victims.

I was busted in 83 for dui and again in 88...the second time I did jail time in Florida plus 6 grand in legal fees and inconvenience fees...made a decision to quit driving for the next 12 years but continued to drink while riding a bicycle. Worst wreck I ever had was on a bike, drunk. Went to aa, got sober and stayed that way. Been sober 10 years. No alcohol, weed or drugs in any form...I feel more better now.

Drinking and driving is just not smart. My uncle died because he decided to be an idiot and and snort some coke after downing a 5th and drive home.

I enjoy drinking (i'm 27 afterall) and i enjoy driving and having my licence and looking forward to beginning a career as a CDL driver. Drinking and driving just dont mix.

I've left my car at the bar many times and walked home. Or when i was out of town in nashville clubbing there was a place that had $5 door charge and penny beers all night ... Those nights i slept in the backseat of my car with my trunk key in the ignition and the ignition key in the trunk. About 4am they try to clear the parking lots but i just opted for the 35 dollar parking ticket and paid it on my way out of town ... Cheaper then the DUI hassle and no risk in killing anyone.

Drinking in and of itself isnt evil, in moderation it can be a blessing as both a stress relief and a social event among friends.. It's only when abused or used in excess (just like anything else) that problems start. Some days you come home and just want a beer... a coke won't cut it ... just a nice ice cold frothy yummy mug of liquid bread goodness brought to you by the wonderful world of micorbiology.

I'm getting thirsty.

I have left my car, and picked it up the next day more than once. Only once did I operate a vehicle while under the influence. Stupidest thing I ever did; I was lucky, I didn't wreck m y motorcycle, I didn't hurt anyone, I didn't get arrested. My apartment was only a few blocks from the bar, but I woke up the next morning filled with remorse and ashamed-ness. I will never do that again. I couldn't even see straight, I should never have been on that bike. I called my "friends" but no one would give me a ride.
NO excuse. ANyway, dumb luck saved me, but I won't ever repeat it. I like drinking, and I like getting roudy, but I choose to do it responsibly... I hope others will choose to do the same.

Back