DUI

Tom

Local time
8:45 PM
What would happen if you got pulled over riding your motorized bike while under the influence? Do you think you would get a DUI? or a BUI?

Does anyone know the details?

In Colorado you register a motorized bike just like a moped 3 years for $5.25 you have to have some form of licence or permit but no insurance is required. But since it is a registered motor vechile here it would be a DUI.

heard about this guy from my dad (In Ireland) who rides a donkey to the pub so when it's time to go home and he's blind drunk he gets on the donkey and it knows it's way home.

sideshowsideswipe said:
heard about this guy from my dad (In Ireland) who rides a donkey to the pub so when it's time to go home and he's blind drunk he gets on the donkey and it knows it's way home.

HAHAHAHAHAH oh man

DUI? MOTORIZED BICYCLE?

I too am in Colorado. These are not motorized bicycles. These are motor assisted bicycles. If you look at the CRS you will see what a motorized bicycle is. They even have an eg. Goped and such. In other words, a motorized bicycle is that having two wheels and its only mode of propulsion is that of a motor, even a motor less than 50cc. That is a motorized bicycle. If you do a search on motor assisted bicycles, you will see they are regulated in NYC and Boulder Colorado. And those are the only two Cities or locations I can find with regs on motor assisted bicycles. A motor assisted bicycle is NOT a motorized bicycle, nor is it a scooter, nor is it a moped, nor is it a motorcycle. As for DUI. Being drunken in public is illegal. On a motorassisted bicycle or not. Everywhere I know, Public Drunkeness is illegal. Getting Drunk is a sin !!! Getting another drunk is also a bad sin. Both are biblcial. Do not get drunk !!!! If you do, you will pay..Big time.. Getting Drunk is not worth it.. Not at all....

So you are saying the legal description of a Motorized Bicycle in the CRS that follows does not apply to a bicycle with a motor added to it:

"Motorized Bicycle" means a vehicle having two or three wheels, a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cc, and an automatic transmission that produces a maximum design speed of not more than 30 mph on a flat surface.

This classification includes all two- and three-wheeled vehicles with under 50 cc engines, regardless of whether they are gas or electric powered, and are equipped with the mandatory safety equipment necessary for vehicles to travel on public roadways. Both Colorado Revised Statute 42-4-201 et seq. and Model Traffic Code Part 2 address the various equipment requirements for motor vehicles permitted to travel on public roadways. The following are examples of these vehicles. This list is not all inclusive:

Scooters
Mopeds (Kinetic or Hybrids)
Motor Assisted Bike

Is this because it did not start life as such or do not have an automatic transmission? Either way it seems like riding a gray area in the law. The info I can find on "Motor Assisted Bike" in Colorado refers only to electric powered units of limited wattage.

Have you been pulled over yet to test your theory?

Mile High Chop-Ped said:
Have you been pulled over yet to test your theory?

My DUI theory? No, I won't test it. I just saw someone getting a DUI the other night, it seems like such a waste to go through. There were 2 patrol cars, and the guy sat in the back of one for a while, and then finally that cop drove the guy off to jail, while the other cop called a tow truck to impound the guy's car. They couldnt get it on the flatbed too easily, so the cop got in the car, started it up and drove it to a nearby parking lot so the towtruck driver could get to it. The guy with the DUI has to pay for all that, plus they lose their license for a year and they have to spend the night in jail. Not worth it period.

As for the classification of these things, its such a gray area. Does it make a difference if you turn the motor off and just pedal? I'm sure getting pulled over would all depend on the cop's interpretation of the law, and your bike, and your attitude, and how his day has been going etc.

I just know that many police have seen me riding this thing and they just look and watch as I drive by.

I was really just referring to the it is not a Motorized Bike theory. So far I have just waved at the Sheriff I saw and he waived back. I have the form from the Department of Revenue to Register as a Motorized Bicycle. I am thinking it could not hurt to at least be able to point to a registration sticker if you do get pulled over by the confused officer having a bad day.

COLORADO LAW ON MAB MOTOR ASSISTED BICYCLES

Again. These are bicycles with motor assist. True..They do not have Auto matic transmissions. True..They are regulated in Boulder and they happen to be Electric and not gas on the books. So..you have done some research. This is good. Here is what I have found out. I chased a policecar down to challange them on the laws. After passing me several times , I finally cornered them at got them to stop. This is Jefferson County BTY. And.. They said yes..That is a bicycle. and not a motorized bike. I asked them if they learn anything different, to let me know. I gave them my Address. About 2 hrs later, they came by my house and gave me the CRS you mentioned. He felt that this CRS is applicable to my motor assisted bike. I did not feel the same way of course. But..I chose to listen to him and not argue about it. Also..I have print outs of the Laws in other states that have definitions for motor assisted bicycles, motorized bicycles, Mopeds, Scooters, and then motor cycles. since there are these different classes in other states, My feeling is that the CRS can not be applicable to a motor assisted bicycle. That means, there are no laws on the books for motor assisted bicycles. Not yet anyway. It will take case law to establish a class. I do not want to be the one to go to court and extablish it. So..I will leave it as is. My feeling is this. If you have to go to court for what ever reason over your motor assisted bicycle, take a lawyer !! That way , you will win and extablish a case law that will favor our little motor assisted bikes. until then. Be cool. Stay out of trouble. When in Doubt, kill the enigne and pedal .. Enjoy the ride....

NEW INFO ON MAB BROOFIELD CO

I am not looking at the Broomfield post on CRS Colorado Revised Statute 42-4-201 and then the City code 232(1) . They mention motor assisted bicycles model traffic code part 2. I now see that Broomfield has defined Motorassited bicycles into the CRS defintion. That is the city defintion and this is not good. I am not sure this has been challanged and won or lost. Seems like the city has done this to require registration and get the 3 year annual fee. I am sure it is all about money. This is not a good thing. Thanks for the research. This is new . This also sucks !!!

Back