DUI

I have been pulled over by a Kansas State Trooper who was sure that he had me cold. But alas, after much perusal of the handbook and suffering gawking of passing motorists, who where clearly intrigued by the absurdity of this monstrous menacing patrol car with spaceship lights pulling over a flame jobbed bicycle, I was sent on my way with a warning about needing more lights.
In the eyes of the law there is no gray area regarding operation of a vehicle or beast in the state of legal drunkeness, you can and will be cited on a bicycle, lawnmower, or horse. There are a number of legal precedents, which can be googled.

I raise meat goats, have a clientele of Mexicans every holiday and feast day, and sold a bike to one of the guys last month. 8 years of spanish classes in California and in college, and I remember just enough to speak Spanglish.

But 5 of them were in the truck when Juan came to pick up his bike, and I'm trying to give him tips and tricks for better performance, and this short guy who speaks no english started pantomiming "drinking whiskey from a bottle".

So I said , "no insurancia, no licencia, no cerveza y no tequila". I think the message got through.

Heres a short story to let you know about the laws in West Virginia. DUI orDWI . My friend was drinking at a party about 4 blocks from his house and when it came time to ride his motorcycle home he was too drunk to ride the thing so affraid to leave it there he decided to push it home and off he goes. Cars where wizzing by so he turned the key on in order to turn the lights on so as not to get run over . Now he's puching the bike with the lights and key on and along comes the cop. Turns out that if the key is in and on the bike is concidered running even if its not running and he got arrested for DUI and lost his licence for 10 years cause it was his 2nd offence. One more and he will lose it for life no appeal no chance of ever getting it back. Welcome to West Virginia wild and wonderful. Oh I almost forgot this all happened on my friends birthday. Happy Birthday to You have the right to remain silent . TominWild and Wonderful WV

try1897 said:
Heres a short story to let you know about the laws in West Virginia. DUI orDWI . My friend was drinking at a party about 4 blocks from his house and when it came time to ride his motorcycle home he was too drunk to ride the thing so affraid to leave it there he decided to push it home and off he goes. Cars where wizzing by so he turned the key on in order to turn the lights on so as not to get run over . Now he's puching the bike with the lights and key on and along comes the cop. Turns out that if the key is in and on the bike is concidered running even if its not running and he got arrested for DUI and lost his licence for 10 years cause it was his 2nd offence. One more and he will lose it for life no appeal no chance of ever getting it back. Welcome to West Virginia wild and wonderful. Oh I almost forgot this all happened on my friends birthday. Happy Birthday to You have the right to remain silent . TominWild and Wonderful WV

If I were your friend, I believe I would get a lawyer and appeal that one...that's just plain stupid!

i've mentioned around that i enjoy a low cop-population up here, we have one (1) local dude that patrols an area about 2.5 X 10 miles at the top of the peninsula. but, ocean park is part of pacific county, and county spells sherrif.

once a month, i enjoy a few evenings up the road at "doc's" which is pretty much the only cool place we got...but it is really cool, cheap beer, great pool tables, greater pool shooters, friendly cusses all of 'em, too. so i throw down a few (read: more than a few) and shoot some pretty mean stick for a coupla hours...during smoke breaks i answer questions about the bike. as usual, i had a good time.

last call: unlock the bike, get all the doo-dads ready for my ride home. helmet, gloves, goggles, led's on, check! head on out the back gate, damn this is gonna be FUN, unlock the clutch lever, open the petcock, lift the choke, start pedaling...

2 county cruisers across the street in the grocer's parking lot.

i shut the petcock & pedaled home.

sorry about the boring ending 8)

Can't do that sort of thing anymore (the wife does not enjoy it!), but Doc's sounds like my kind a place!

Back