Dumb question: 4-stroke with clutch lever?

Yea, I thought about mentioning the Whizzer Slip Clutch design with the Centrifugal clutch But it would be of no advantage and just use up the hand lever that could be used for the brake lever.
Whizzer Centrifugal clutch is better than a Slip clutch.
For starting the bike with the pedals the Whizzer Centrifugal Clutch uses a one way bearing and ya gotta push a compression release lever with your thumb.
That awesome wrench, I don't know much about whizzers but just know about the belt drive and available rear sheave. Didn't know they had a special clutch. I'll have to look at one.

That awesome wrench, I don't know much about whizzers but just know about the belt drive and available rear sheave. Didn't know they had a special clutch. I'll have to look at one.
Not to go into a history lesson but there are more centrifugal Whizzer clutches that have been made than I will mention now

There have been several different gear ratio centrifugal clutches made by Modern Whizzer over the years 50mm, 70mm and 90mm
Modern Whizzer even made a CVT Whizzer The Vintage Centrifugal Clutch was a 2 speed called the BI Matic.
Max Torque Clutch even offered a Centrifugal clutch for the Whizzer but only a limited amount were made thru a special order.
I Have a Max Torque Clutch in my collection and it's the best made. But I use the 90mm 2005 NE-5 centrifugal clutch it has the best overall performance and top speed. If I lived in a hilly area I would use the 50mm centrifugal clutch
By lightening the Clutch shoes in combination with the correct RPM springs the Whizzer Centrifugal clutch can be fined tuned.

A Whizzer slip (belt) clutch control arm can be used in combination with the centrifugal clutch allowing the centrifugal clutch to be disengaged by slipping the primary belt. But it would be of no advantage and not necessary.

Not to go into a history lesson but there are more centrifugal Whizzer clutches that have been made than I will mention now

There have been several different gear ratio centrifugal clutches made by Modern Whizzer over the years 50mm, 70mm and 90mm
Modern Whizzer even made a CVT Whizzer The Vintage Centrifugal Clutch was a 2 speed called the BI Matic.
Max Torque Clutch even offered a Centrifugal clutch for the Whizzer but only a limited amount were made thru a special order.
I Have a Max Torque Clutch in my collection and it's the best made. But I use the 90mm 2005 NE-5 centrifugal clutch it has the best overall performance and top speed. If I lived in a hilly area I would use the 50mm centrifugal clutch
By lightening the Clutch shoes in combination with the correct RPM springs the Whizzer Centrifugal clutch can be fined tuned.

A Whizzer slip (belt) clutch control arm can be used in combination with the centrifugal clutch allowing the centrifugal clutch to be disengaged by slipping the primary belt. But it would be of no advantage and not necessary.
I hear ya on that. When he said lever I was picturing a vertical lock-out lever in my mind. Like a suicide style lever arm. Definitely a challenge for day to day relaxation but not necessarily uncool either haha. I'm sure the whizzers have some internal gearing like other scooter engines and the 2 stroke bicycle engines have. Gearing can be a challenge sometimes with builds. Max torque is a business with a lot of dedication to what they do and they are affordable and willing to help, great company. They make and help design clutches for racing applications. Snow mobile racers that use centrifugal clutches use the clutch as a brake sometimes by putting a brake band on the clutch drum. It's only one option for extra braking. Some early bikes used band brakes on the wheel hub, somthing I've thought about recreating.

Last edited:
Probably a really stupid question but figured I'd ask anyway.

So I'm heavily considering moving away from the 2-stroke world and getting into 4-strokes, but one aspect I'd miss would be the manual clutch. Would there be any way to convert a centrifugal clutch to a lever clutch, or is this impossible?
old Tecumseh engines have both. if you can find one.

Back