Dumb question: 4-stroke with clutch lever?

Captain Rainmaker

Local time
1:17 PM
Probably a really stupid question but figured I'd ask anyway.

So I'm heavily considering moving away from the 2-stroke world and getting into 4-strokes, but one aspect I'd miss would be the manual clutch. Would there be any way to convert a centrifugal clutch to a lever clutch, or is this impossible?

Probably a really stupid question but figured I'd ask anyway.

So I'm heavily considering moving away from the 2-stroke world and getting into 4-strokes, but one aspect I'd miss would be the manual clutch. Would there be any way to convert a centrifugal clutch to a lever clutch, or is this impossible
Centrifugal clutches don't use a hand lever, their automatic. No it's impossible to convert them to be used with a hand lever.
Even though this clutch https://3dmotorsport.net/ is not centrifugal it uses a hand lever to operate it

Yes I have seen these 3D clutches on M/Bs like the Sportsman Flyer and very custom M/B builds

Last edited:
Yes it's entirely possible with a slip belt design like how a tiller works. Lever engages the belt against the clutch pulley. You wouldn't really need a clutch just a drive pulley on the engine. You still need a jack shaft for gearing probably unless you can build a bigger sheeve than what a whizzer uses 15".

Last edited:
I would think you rig up something because I have centrifugal on my 50cc 2 stroke and I pull the clutch lever and it disengages the clutch. I let it loose it will engage and start the engine if I’m rolling. Not for sure how to do it tho.The picture below is the centrifugal clutch I do have the cover for it too

Attachments

• 20777AB9-4BF0-4F04-BC83-9E64E24A630F.jpeg
    20777AB9-4BF0-4F04-BC83-9E64E24A630F.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
I would think you rig up something because I have centrifugal on my 50cc 2 stroke and I pull the clutch lever and it disengages the clutch. I let it loose it will engage and start the engine if I’m rolling. Not for sure how to do it tho.
For pedal starting a centrifugal clutch it would need a pawl system with notches cut in the clutch drum. Once the engine starts the spring loaded pawl teeth would retract.

Last edited:
Yes it's entirely possible with a slip belt design like how a tiller works. Lever engages the belt against the clutch pulley. You wouldn't really need a clutch just a drive pulley on the engine. You still need a jack shaft for gearing probably unless you can build a bigger sheeve than what a whizzer uses 15".
Yea, I thought about mentioning the Whizzer Slip Clutch design with the Centrifugal clutch But it would be of no advantage and just use up the hand lever that could be used for the brake lever.
Whizzer Centrifugal clutch is better than a Slip clutch.
For starting the bike with the pedals the Whizzer Centrifugal Clutch uses a one way bearing and ya gotta push a compression release lever with your thumb.

Last edited:
I would think you rig up something because I have centrifugal on my 50cc 2 stroke and I pull the clutch lever and it disengages the clutch. I let it loose it will engage and start the engine if I’m rolling. Not for sure how to do it tho.The picture below is the centrifugal clutch I do have the cover for it too
I didn't know there was a hand operated centrifugal clutch.

To convert a Centrifugal clutch to be operated with a hand lever, would that be worth it, and what advantages would be gained on one of these 49 or 53cc 4 strokes?

To convert a Centrifugal clutch to be operated with a hand lever, would that be worth it, and what advantages would be gained on one of these 49 or 53cc 4 strokes?
I don’t use the lever very much. Only like when I see a police man. I squeeze it and start peddling just turn engine off. So if I release it will restart engine.I’m not trying to hide or no warrants, just not giving them a chance to stop me.Plus I heard they were going to ban them. I just don’t want to draw anymore attention. Now normally I would chug down the road doing speed limit or just under it. Speed limit is 30 I’m going right around there.So I only use the lever just to put the motor in neutral. Basically

Last edited:
Back