Dumb question?

Local time
9:07 AM
So I just got the hd single speed wheel put on my bike. My question is, how tight are the lock nuts supposed to be against the exposed bearing on the end of the hub? My guess was just barely snug. I wouldn't think that they should be too tight against the bearing. Is it even required that the lock nut be backed up against the bearing? Cause I have the lock nut against the bearing and then two washers as spacers. Its just something I don't want to get wrong. Not sure of the process of replacing one of those hub bearings and don't want to find out.

The cone nut should be tight enough to where the wheel won't wobble. Yet lose enough to where the wheel spins freely and effortlessly.
Not to hijack Mr. Eastwood's thread, but I was just wondering something, Jerry: If the cone nut is a little too tight, would that produce friction, and thereby make the sprockets hot?

I'm wondering, because I'm playing around with my recent motorized single speed build,among other things, trying to get both chains' tension correct. I noticed after about a six mile ride both rear sprockets were hot. Not egg frying hot, but to the touch.

I took the wheel off to check the bearings and they were in good condition. The wheel does have a little drag, however.

Whatta ya think?

So the hd hub has these double row press fit sealed bearings, not the conical if that helps

Attachments

• PXL_20210509_003132674.jpg
    PXL_20210509_003132674.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 145
Why is your axle so long? It looks like ya installed your own axle,

Hubs with sealed bearings come with a spacer inside between the two bearings inner races
Or the Axle is designed to support the Sealed bearings inner races.
The bearing nuts are suppose to be tight

Last edited:

Hubs with sealed bearings come with a spacer inside between the two bearings inner races

Hey, thanks for the input. I wasn't sure if I was going to be pushing that bearing further into the hub. There's really not alot of information available on these hubs.
That's the axle that came with it. Just haven't cut it off yet.

Clyde is good, Thanks for asking. He just served a four year presidency. Now he just kicks it at the golf course mostly. Jk, love the Donald

Wrong advice, bearing nuts are supposed to be snug so as to not wear the bearing out prematurely. Also adjusted properly the bearing will ride/wear on the appropriate bearing surfaces. The bearing nut LOCKNUT should be tight to prevent the bearing nut from overtightening or loosening.
Take no pleasure in correcting you Mr. Wrench but that was just bad advice. You know a lot more than me but you missed on this one, carry on my friend.

Back