Dumb question?

Wrong advice, bearing nuts are supposed to be snug so as to not wear the bearing out prematurely. Also adjusted properly the bearing will ride/wear on the appropriate bearing surfaces. The bearing nut LOCKNUT should be tight to prevent the bearing nut from overtightening or loosening.
Take no pleasure in correcting you Mr. Wrench but that was just bad advice. You know a lot more than me b
What your describing here is for loose bearings or caged bearings

You can't wear out a sealed bearing by tightening the nut against the inner race. You even posted a diagram.
View attachment 105116Notice the 2 nuts in the middle on the top. One is for adjustment, other for locking down the adjustment nut. Notice the flat spots on the adjustment nut, that's why you need a thin cone wrench.

You can't wear out a sealed bearing by tightening the nut against the inner race. You even posted a diagram.
Yeah he had me a little confused about that. His description wasn't matching the diagram he posted. The diagram is right tho. I need to find those nuts

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I appreciate everyone's help though. I'm pretty new to this, and have to say that this is a very helpful community. I appreciate it!

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.

Why are there locknuts in the diagram then? I see your point, the inner race isn't supposed to turn but that's in a perfect world.

Why are there locknuts in the diagram then? I see your point, the inner race isn't supposed to turn but that's in a perfect world.
I have wheels with sealed bearings that don't use a locknut it just has a spacer and a nut
The spacer or locknut height is to have the correct distance to the dropouts or forks.

I have even had to shave a spacer to get the correct distance and center the wheel in the frame or forks

I can see your point, maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges here. Maybe I've learned something new. Even in the diagram I posted it has locknuts on it w/a sealed bearing.. Just a different design?

Yeah he had me a little confused about that. His description wasn't matching the diagram he posted. The diagram is right tho. I need to find those nuts
You don't need the locknut with hubs with sealed bearings. But ya need the hex nut and a spacer
Just find some spacers the correct height so your wheel is centered and fits the dropouts perfect
Or if it was a front wheel so it would fit in the forks perfect.

Let me explain this again, you don't need that cone shaped nuts you can use spacers

If ya can't find the correct height spacers you'll have to shave em down so everything fits perfect

The nut wont come loose, but if your worried put a drop of blue loctite on it.

Last edited:
Back