DVR? Other cameras for safety?

junglepig

Local time
2:16 AM
I'm considering adding a dual (front/rear) DVR camera to my bike before taking it on the road much.
I figure it may be a great help in the event a car hurts me. e.g. should record license plate and car images, as well as what happened.
Also, I figure it never hurts (in my likely situations) to have video rolling if stopped by a "Protect and Serve" agent of local government.

Cost: about $30. I suppose it could get ripped off while parked.

But if I or my family ever needed to make use of the video, it could be priceless.

Anybody else using a cam for safety purposes?
What do you use? Go-pro? Cheap DVR like I'm considering? Phone? Others?
What are your thoughts?

I just ordered one of these cheap SQ11 cameras for $8.15, it got pretty good reviews. Also had to get a memory card for it for $5. It claims to have a battery that will last 100 mins but I don't know. It comes with a mount and a clip so you can clip it on your clothing. I will let you know how good it works after I get it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SQ11-Car-Mini-DVR-Camera-HD-Camcorder-1080P-Video-Recorder-Night-Vision-lot-rs/253781271080?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=553063337166&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingston-32GB-Micro-SD-SDHC-SDXC-Class10-Memory-Card-TF-80MB-s-R/273548804563?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Hmm. I took the 100 minute working time to be the recording time on a 32GB card since it specified about 100 mins at 1080p and 30fps.
Let me know how it works for you.
They had this for $28 during last sale, but it's gone back up since then. I was considering it but not ready to buy one yet.
Thanks, I really would like to see some video, especially night video, from that camera when you get it.

Hmm. I took the 100 minute working time to be the recording time on a 32GB card since it specified about 100 mins at 1080p and 30fps.
Let me know how it works for you.
They had this for $28 during last sale, but it's gone back up since then. I was considering it but not ready to buy one yet.
Thanks, I really would like to see some video, especially night video, from that camera when you get it.
I'm certain that one will be much better than the one I got. I don't expect much since it was so cheap, I bet that the night vision won't be very good at all. Here is a video of a guy who put it on a drone and another who used it at night. Still, not bad for under $14.

Last edited:
Cool. I was looking at the cheap 4K one for ~$25 without memory card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SJ9000-Wif...rstClass!53072!US!-1:rk:7:pf:1&frcectupt=true

But, this is a nice cheap, cheap alternative if you just want to have something. Also, make sure you buy from a US seller. If you buy from China as in that link above, you just don't know when you will get it and no tracking. Here is a US seller for that SQ11 for same price. My only question is how will you mount it? I know you can do top of helmet but the video looks better from a chest mount (see speedo, better sense of speed); this one dont have a chest mount.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SQ11-Spy-H...h=item2ce00e3c69:g:z8YAAOSwr-Bb-2aS:rk:3:pf:0

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Why not use a real motorcycle dashcam? This one has the added bonus of seeing what is behind you.
s-l1600.jpg

32GB can go pretty far in case something happened like a wreck. The built in battery isn't much but it does accept 12v-24v power wouldn't be hard to add a few hours extra runtime.

32GB can go pretty far in case something happened like a wreck. The built in battery isn't much but it does accept 12v-24v power wouldn't be hard to add a few hours extra runtime.
Cool. I must've misread a spec somewhere that made me think it had like a 10 minute recording loop.

Back