DVR? Other cameras for safety?

Why not use a real motorcycle dashcam? This one has the added bonus of seeing what is behind you.
s-l1600.jpg
That's not bad at all for $40! The one I ordered for $8 was just so I could attach it to my bike and record rides occasionally as well as use it for other applications. I didn't really get it to be a permanent part of the bike but this one with 2 cameras don't look too bad at all if you want to record every ride.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
That's not bad at all for $40! The one I ordered for $8 was just so I could attach it to my bike and record rides occasionally as well as use it for other applications. I didn't really get it to be a permanent part of the bike but this one with 2 cameras don't look too bad at all if you want to record every ride.
I don't even see the biggest benefit as being able to record every single ride, but being able to record while seeing what is behind you while not having to turn to look behind you or in extremely violently vibrating mirrors to see what is coming up behind you. I might buy one.

yea, i mean crazydan is right. the vibrating from the engine and jolting from the road unless you have like $500 in front and rear shocks will make a handle bar mounted cam practically useless. as i mentioned before, of the ebike and gas bike videos ive seen, the best results for us come from a chest mounted cam. now that $8 cam does not have one but mebe there is an accessory available or you can rig your own chest mount. i want to get one to make YouTube montages to rap and trance songs of me speeding and doing reckless riding :p also to document my ebike hybrid build and ride.

yea, i mean crazydan is right. the vibrating from the engine and jolting from the road unless you have like $500 in front and rear shocks will make a handle bar mounted cam practically useless. as i mentioned before, of the ebike and gas bike videos ive seen, the best results for us come from a chest mounted cam. now that $8 cam does not have one but mebe there is an accessory available or you can rig your own chest mount. i want to get one to make YouTube montages to rap and trance songs of me speeding and doing reckless riding :p also to document my ebike hybrid build and ride.
Even the $8 one claims to have motion detection. I wonder how good it will be though. I can't wait to mount it on my handlebars to test it out.

Even the $8 one claims to have motion detection. I wonder how good it will be though. I can't wait to mount it on my handlebars to test it out.

Okay, let us know because I am in the market for one too. The other camera I posted has a lower quality ($10-15?) previous year version but has a ton of accessories including a chest mount. These cameras are super low budget so I don't expect any significant image stabilization software embedded. And, I like chest mounted because you can actually see the speedo from that angle and provides more realism for the viewer.

Okay, let us know because I am in the market for one too. The other camera I posted has a lower quality ($10-15?) previous year version but has a ton of accessories including a chest mount. These cameras are super low budget so I don't expect any significant image stabilization software embedded. And, I like chest mounted because you can actually see the speedo from that angle and provides more realism for the viewer.
Ha! I'm certain you are right, the picture will probably be too unstable on the handlebars to view. No doubt it will work better on the chest or helmet. It comes with a clip to hook it on but I'm not expecting much.

So I know this thread is a bit dated, but if anyone is still interested, i have a solutition.

A youtube video of this mounted on the rear tire of a motorcycle demonatrates its effectiveness.

Depending on the camera you have, a bit of redneck engineering could be involved, but this should fix any squiggly jello effects.

What if you make a large frame and basically mount the camera on rubber bands?
camera holder.png

Something like that, red being the rubber bands. The gopros have cases I belive. This is just an instant thought, cause I was thinking about something like this too for safety, as i was almost pushed off the road once by a car (on purpose)

Back