E bike cruiser conversion

I found my next victim. I decided it would be nice to have another motorized bicycle to cruise around with the China girl bike i just finished. I'm going to do this bike electric but I'm not sure if i should do front hub or rear hub, 36 volt or 42?
20190209_192211.jpg

I planned on using 3 and the other on my gas bike for lights. I made a little box that can hold 3 batteries like a rear rack but i was thinking of other areas to put them. Maybe 2 under the front basket and 1 somewhere else?

I have mine on the top tube and the bottom tube. If you cannot fit it in the triangle I would do top tube over the rear rack. There is also the option of two hanging compartments over the top tube to either side. Big ebikers do this for big battery builds.

Attachments

• photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 144
Batteries arrived today! Looks like the damn government mail let the box be assaulted by a velociraptor but the batteries appear to have survived.
20190214_210415.jpg

Dunno what your controller wants to be fed, but you might be able to get away with a couple of hobbyking multistar bricks. Try a 4s series to a 6s of the 16ah for 10s, that’ll be your 37v nominal and way smaller, lighter than sla. Tbh I have no idea how much sla sags or what c rating they’re at. The hk multistars are like the industry standard for ebikers on a budget. You should be able to pull an easy 2-3c from them for 30-45a.

I will have to get some lipos or at least move around these batteries maybe the skinny long way along the top tube. I'm about to take it for the test ride.

I went out for a short ride, i didn't realize it was -6 F. Went six blocks and it seemed alright so far. Since all the roads are snow covered it will burn out from a stop. I don't think it will on dry pavement. Seems to cruise maybe 18 mph or so. It might be perfect for the wife. Once you're feet are on the pedals that box in between your legs really isn't bad. The bike is really heavy now, way heavier than the CG bike i have.

Back