E bike cruiser conversion

I found my next victim. I decided it would be nice to have another motorized bicycle to cruise around with the China girl bike i just finished. I'm going to do this bike electric but I'm not sure if i should do front hub or rear hub, 36 volt or 42?
20190209_192211.jpg

Holy smokes that's more than the motor and controller. So far I've got 2 miles on my $45 battery pack and it's pretty good.

Yeah, the batteries usually end up being the most expensive part of the build when it comes time to "getgud" as it's said these days lol

I'm way late to the thread, I would have voted for the mid-drive setup, although the FWD wheels are pretty cool.

I can't believe how good front wheel drive is in the snow! Just went for a cruise to the grocery store and back, 7 blocks round trip, only half of which was plowed and the rest is covered in 5 inches of snow. It powered through it and you can point the front tire up hill twist the throttle and it pulls the front right to the hill. I thought it would be way more sketch.

FWD always been awesome in the snow! First e-bike I ever rode was a front hub wheel bike, like you I thought it would be scary - and it is in certain situations like rollin on gravel mid-turn while decelerating if it has high regen. Gravel's always been sketch tho LOL

Ah very well could i didn't use either of the brake levers it came with or the pedal assist sensor it came with. Just the throttle/on off switch, the motor, the controller, the battery.

Holy smokes that's more than the motor and controller. So far I've got 2 miles on my $45 battery pack and it's pretty good.

You’re doing fine. When the hobbyking lipos dip under $300/kWh they get sold real quick.

Regen quality depends on your controller. Good ones support variable regen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you approached it right. Just dip your toes in the electric world with a small investment. A good powerful ebike as you may have seen is a big investment so make sure you know the good and bad before committing.

Been riding to the grocery and store and back a few times and it's working fine. I bought a scooter charger on e bay for $9 and put a deans plug on it. Works great so far.

Back