E-bike vs. Gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay GUys

Thanks,

Maybe my persecption of speed is just off...

I guess Ill grab a cheap hybrid or mountain bike, a ThatsDax motor and see what I can do :)

Greenblazer I second those thoughts.

>I like electric because I can zip down any sidewalk around here, and few even notice that I'm not pedaling.
My experience as well.

> My Fuzzy Green Chopper was very stealthy though. On the other hand try riding a gas powered bike on the sidewalk, and the cops would be all over you.
Could not agree more.

>Also I would not try to take a gasoline powered bike inside a building, but electric no problem bring it inside.
Yep, I bet coworkers freak when you bring a can of gasoline and a smelly engine inside an office.

I would be nice to see.

$100 powerpacks instead of $1000
Light powerpacks.
Fast charging powerpacks.

Hope the Ecar popularity will spin some of that off!!

My bikes sing between 25-28 mph and I love it. I don't feel too safe over 30 but it is fun getting up to 33 or 34. You can always add suspension forks, seat posts and buy a big comfy seat. When the nobby tires go bad on my MTB, I'll switch to some smooth street tires like my cruiser has. I notice a big diff between the two.

As for helmets be sure to read the "saftey" thread in General Disscussion and also read http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=7002&highlight=helmets

i have both an ebike and 70cc. to me its all about fun and the gas bike is a whole lot more fun. more speed, goes up hills with ease, and lighter. i am selling my electric bike

Dax 70 with tuned pipe and 36 T rear will get you 34.4 MPH at roughly 6100 RPM on a slight uphill (personally I wouldn't try too many more rpm's for fear of blowing the engine). May have to gear up a bit to reach higher speeds if engine will pull the load...Of course down hill with really high (smaller rear sprocket) sprocket is a sure way to get 40+ MPH.....Try to be safe with the speed runs tho....
Andrew

Oh BTW FWIW the tuned pipe 70 with the 36T rear has enough power to run up a long steep hill faster than a stock engine with 44T in the rear....I feel that gearing higher than the 36T would be no problem (Note: stock engine with 36T did bog down going up the same hill). So 40 May be attainable but I haven't tried the numbers on paper to see if the ROM's would be "reasonable"....
Andrew

Sprockets

Can somebody give me the simple answer to sprocket info I am lost and they seem rather expensive ($50's) so Ill likely stick with the stock one....

Tuned pipe?

Is that an aftermarket pipe or simply drilling holes/cutting the internal pipe as Dax's site shows?

Would that mod work with the Kings motor as well?

And you talk about not going to high on the RPM's... around 6000RPM max...

How do you know what your at without a tach???

The main area I want to cruise is a frequent spot for road bikes, its a nice flat curvy area with some slight up and down sections (I want to be able to get atlest 25-30 there to keep up with the minimal traffic this road see's) leading into a even more curvy medium-steep hill I'd like to be able to get up and then cruise down...

Anyways I think Ill be happy with anything if its faster then the e-bike I road...

Just need to order an engine :) and pick up a bike if mine doesnt work... Its a old (think its specialized, around 7-9 years old, honestly cant recall but it was my first bike) mountain bike, good condition, no shocks, could use a gear adjustement and new brakes, but clearly its a bit small... And I am now 5'10"...

But Ill have to check it out again, I have road it recently without to much trouble, I am hoping for a somewhat leaned forward stance (like the road bike) but a mountain bike (stronger wheels).

It seems like everybody who has a motorized bike only goes one way or the other--not too many people seem into both.

Electrics are quieter and cleaner, and can have more torque at lower speeds. Some electric motors (front hubs) attach very easily on to an extremely wide range of bicycles. Additionally, electrics are legal a few places that gasoline bikes are not.

The main advantage of a gas engine is exactly what the electric lacks--and that's endurance. Five lbs of gasoline contains WAY more energy than any 5-lbs of batteries will hold, and the best batteries are extremely expensive, often driving the purchase price of an electric far over what a comparable-power gas setup would cost. The batteries also don't last forever, and for most setups, the cost-per-mile still exceeds what fueling a comparable 4-cycle gasoline engine would cost.

Which one is "best" depends much on how you expect to use it.
If the farthest you need to go is 10-15-20 miles, an electric can do that very well, and is easier to live with than a gas engine would be. If you expect to take multi-hour 100+ mile rides then forget about the electrics, because one that could do that would be far heavier and more expensive than a gas-engine setup would.

-------

I only have a gas-engine, and have little interest in "typical" electrics at all.

What I think would be interesting is a hybrid setup--where you had an electric motor on the bicycle, and could run it either off of a set of batteries (for silent short-range operation) or off a gasoline engine generator/dynamo (for longer-distance use). At this point it seems like the only way to do this is to essentially pay for BOTH systems and then put them on one bike, and I'm kinda tapped out for silly money for a while so I don't expect I'll be playing with the concept in 2008.
~

Thanks guys

While immediatly I dont see myself going much farther then e-bike range I just want the hill climbing ability of the gas really and from what I can tell the gas is cheaper then almost any e-bike kit...

my electric bike is fine on flat ground however you do have to peddle assist on most hills. my gas just fly's up the same hill i have to pedle up with the ebike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back