E-bike vs. Gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But according to that documentary,"Who Killed The Electric Car" (sorry for derailing a bit) it seemed GM made some remarkable electric cars that topped off at 80MPH,faster than an average gas car in acceleration and a range of 100 miles. You plug it in at home and they started building battery chargers at gas stations where you park and plug.
Well then the oil companies started getting a bit antsy and GM took back all the cars (customers could only lease the vehicles,not buy) and crushed them all.
So the problem IS the oil company. They are making record profits from all of us. They have unlimited power over EVERYBODY. They control EVERYTHING.
90% of all Americans use their car they say an average of like 28 miles a day. And they are making strives in battery technology. At 100 miles a charge and at the gas equivalent of 60 cents a gallon,wouldn't you think that some Americans would like to have one?
So now we have the Hybrid. Thank you Toyota for the Purist. With a second battery and a plug outlet you can get over 100 MPG in that car.
How does the American hybrid stack up? Average 30 mpg.
So the problem IS the oil companies. Also the people that are too dependent of oil.
Oil has us,man.
Y'all need to watch that show.

Slow down LF, everything they say could be true and while an electric would serve me for short trips, I'll still need a dino powered for those long trips I take. That means I have to buy two cars, two insurance policies, etc. That gets quite expensive, or I can use the car I have to do everything.

Anytime I see one of these docu-dramas, I always ask, is there an agenda at work here? The story may be slanted in the direction the film maker wants you to go.

True that but as of now our choices are limited....but then again there are kit cars out there battery powered.

Slow down LF, everything they say could be true and while an electric would serve me for short trips, I'll still need a dino powered for those long trips I take. .

Not true of PHEV's. For short trips you can run on battery alone; for longer trips the gas engine starts.

Interesting thread ! ( have read many of these on different forums..)

The consensus seems to be " different strokes for diffrent folks " .. and i have to agree.

I work in an office, and no way can i leave any bicycle, electric , gas, or un powered, outside while i work.. it will be stolen ! 100 % certainly.

This means the bike has to come inside the office. Electric it is !

However, once i figure out what's what on the gas side of the equasion, i'm getting one, reading on this forum will lead me in the right direction i'm sure.

I've explored the limits if Electric, batteries, motors, etc.. and if money is no object, an E-bike can be made to haul ***.. Same for the gas side. But the high-end on both versions will cost a drastic difference..

Top of the line Ebike = 2000 to 4000 $
Top of the line Gas Bike = ? 2000 ?

Here in NewBrunswick, canada, a gas bike won't be a problem with the PoPo but more and more, cities and cracking down on DB pollution.. and ebikes will prevail i think.

just wondering, i may buy a bike with a electrified hub and mount a gebe on the back....best of both worlds.......would something like that be beneficial?

gas bikes and electric bikes both have their ups and downs - I have two 2-strokes that are fun and fast and both are simple and basic (maybe too basic) but I am now selling one because I am looking for the stealth and refinement of an electric bike so I plan to have one of each ... I believe there's a number of memebers on these boards who have combined gas power with electric hub motors with some success but I (personal opinion) also believe that adding the weight of the gas system (20lbs average) plus the weight of an electric system (30lbs minimum unless you do expensive batteries) means your bike will not handle as well as it should and I am not sure we should be so quick to give that up since agility and easy manuverability are some of the core characteristics that make bicycles so much fun - lots of folks ride motorcycles (some even mod them with electric propulsion) because they prefer power and speed over agility and minimal weight so you have some choices - it's all about your personal preference.

PS - no offence to the motorcycle crowd - I had a Ninja up until I started my family and I loved it but "bicycles" are a better fit with my new role as a daddy and the motorized bike hobby is every bit as enjoyable as the motorcycle hobby

Last edited:
1000watt motors are more expensive than a petrol engine.

This is not true, a Koll or Unite that will happily run at 1000watts can be had for $40 to $100. Its the batteries that cost lots of money. If you can't stomach that price tag, go gas. If you need something super clean and quiet go dc. You need mega range go gas. No need to bash one or the other.. :rolleyes: Like some of the other guys have said, I've got both gas and electric toys and they are both great for what they are.

If you want to ride above 25-30 then get a motorcycle. Bicycles are not designed for that kind of speed and illegal on the street anyway. Problem is that when you cheat like that, you threaten the whole hobby. If you want to ride 40-50 then find a cheap little honda 90 or buy a pep boys 125 CC and register it and get a mc license. PLEASE!!

I go 40 mph regularly on my unassited MTB.:devilish:

just wondering, i may buy a bike with a electrified hub and mount a gebe on the back....best of both worlds.......would something like that be beneficial?

I plan on doin that with my E-Zip. Not goin hub and gebe. It will be electric motor and happy time. For stealth mode and an extra boost of power. There are some hills I believe would need it. People have done trikes like that a lot. I don't believe I've seen it done on a bike yet. I will gusset up the frame for the extra load and stresses.

BTW: Please intro yourself. I made the same mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back