E-bike vs. Gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jraice

Road an e-bike, it was sort-off a standard style bike with a twist throttle, regular brakes, the engine was self contained in the frame inside a box, very clean looking...

Decent pull flat and real nice downhill speed, but sluggish (almost not possible) on the steeper hills...

Anyways it was a fun ride but Ill be doing a 50-80cc gas bike, how will it compare in torque and max speed?

Thanks

Thats pretty sweet...

I am just hoping ill be happy with this setup...

I want to go with the 70cc engine, may end up doing 50cc (legal reasons)...

In 9 months Ill be sitting on a 250cc 14,000RPM redline 2008 Ninja 250, then Ill be happy but for now I just want some motored fun in the hills, flats, anywhere really...

I was looking into some street legal 50cc two stroke "dirt bikes"...

Their main advantage is manual gearing (like the larger bikes)...

But I guess Ill be happy with this setup, I had a blast for my short 5 min ride on the e-bike so this should be even better!

Time to get an engine kit and pick up an old used road bike :)

I have both

The Ebike wins in one area. It's quiet. You can blow down the rode and only the observant will suspect that it is an assist bike.. At least until your battery dies, then you have to drag about 50 lbs of motor and battery around and you REALLY get a lot of exercise!!! I also like it because it is less powerful than my gas GEBE bike and I get a nice bit of exercise. I don't get as much exercise on the GEBE and I really need it. IF they ever get the density of electrical storage up to where gasoline is, then Ebikes will ROCK. For practical day in and day out transportation, Gas wins... Just an opinion from one who has built both.

personally, I would go for a cruiser or even mountain/hybrid style
without suspension and the torque these little chinese engines have, you'll be truing/replacing wheels a lot
you can do 25-30 on these easily, and a road bike would be too high maintenance

Hmmm...

25-30 huh...

I would really like a bit more speed then that...

But I suppose...

Most mountain bikes on the cheap have no or maybe front only suspension and cruisers I see usually have none...

Or was that statement for the thin road bike wheels only?

I am looking (on the budget obviously, Ill be getting a motorcycle like I said in 9 months so I dont want to spend more then $500-$600's) for the fastest bike I can get that will not be a real problem with things like wheel replacement, and other $$$ factors besides initial purchase...

And slightly off topic but... so is the type of bike for this thread ;)

Do most of you guys just wear regular bicycle helmets?

I have a full face DOT and SNELL M2500 rated Shoei X-eleven helmet that I use when riding on the back of my dads harley, and will be wearing when I do get my 2008 Ninja 250. Thought it might be fun to wear it on this bike, eye protection, wind aerodynamics and it gets you in that motorcycle mindset which is pretty fun in itself ;)...

I also have leather armoured jacket, gloves etc... but I think a motorcycle helmet is enough ;) Much more gear on something that still has pedals and you might look a little weird...

Bicycles are not safe above 25-30

If you want to ride above 25-30 then get a motorcycle. Bicycles are not designed for that kind of speed and illegal on the street anyway. Problem is that when you cheat like that, you threaten the whole hobby. If you want to ride 40-50 then find a cheap little honda 90 or buy a pep boys 125 CC and register it and get a mc license. PLEASE!!

Okay guys I didnt mean to cause any problems...

I often hear of people getting 35-40mph speeds and averaging around 30mph...

Thats all I want really...

I just want a decent feeling of speed, not just a lazy little pull...

But I enjoyed the e-bike so I guess any gas bike will be awesome :)

Just gotta find one :/ I was pretty set on the road bike idea...

I really like the tucked in position a road bike gives you compared to a more upright cruiser or mountain bike...

I like electric because I can zip down any sidewalk around here, and few even notice that I'm not pedaling. My Fuzzy Green Chopper was very stealthy though. On the other hand try riding a gas powered bike on the sidewalk, and the cops would be all over you. If I want to go fast I'll Ride my motorcycle. My electric bicycle would only go about 14 to 17MPH and that was plenty fast enough for me. Also I would not try to take a gasoline powered bike inside a building, but electric no problem bring it inside.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

In MY opinion, 35, even 30 ,, is too fast to be riding a BIKE . If you think you want a motored BIKE, ride someone else's that will go that speed, & maybe that will change your mind. Maybe I am just too old, but it is " scary " to me, & the BIKE is NOT designed for those speeds, no matter what alterations you do to it.
I feel that the more motored bikes are seen, the more local laws will be changed. Let a few people get seriously hurt or killed doing 40 , on a BIKE,, & watch what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back