E-fat bike street tires

JCHobbes

Local time
11:35 PM
The only fat bike street tires I like are on alibaba. The problem is the only size every company offers is 20 x 4.0 or 20 x 4 1/4, and have to buy 500 tires. Right now I only need two of this size, and two 26 x 4.0 or 4 1/4. One supplier is sending me samples of a flame pattern tire, 20 x 4 1/4 photo attached. They said I would have to pay for mold and buy 500 tires to have them made in 26 x 4 1/4.

If enough people are interested in this tread pattern, in either size / both sizes, I would be willing to work on buying the M.O.Q. for 20 x 4 1/4 and paying for molds to make the flame pattern in 26 x 4 1/4. I have other projects planned that will use four 20 x 4 1/4 tires. Also attached are photos of my quadracycle project that I need the tires for. I zip tied the rims to the frame to get an idea of how it will look. I have recumbent / trike hubs that need to be laced into the rims. The quad is made from furniture grade pvc pipe and will have Bafang 48 volt, 1000 watt mid drive motor. I purchased a Samagaga differential, axles and hubs.

I am communicating with another supplier about 20 x 4 and 26 x 4 double wall aluminum rims if peeps are interested in those also. I had to buy 20 x 4 and 26 x 4 rims from Mongoose to re-lace with my recumbent hubs.

Attachments

• flame pattern.jpg
    flame pattern.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 426
  • rims.jpg
    rims.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 291
  • samagaga.jpg
    samagaga.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 308
  • Frame Start small.jpg
    Frame Start small.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 265
  • Wheels small.jpg
    Wheels small.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 276
Thank you for the info.

I've seen that style but I do not like it. Pedalchopper wants $89.95 each but is out of stock. They claim the supplier is in Germany. The 20 x 4 version of the Vee is on alibaba. Could likely get the 26 x 4 on alibaba also if I bought 500 :)

Thank you for the info.

I've seen that style but I do not like it. Pedalchopper wants $89.95 each but is out of stock. They claim the supplier is in Germany. The 20 x 4 version of the Vee is on alibaba. Could likely get the 26 x 4 on alibaba also if I bought 500 :)

if you wanna look at chinese warehouses look on aliexpress.com usually the same thing but they let you buy everything in singles where alibaba is more of a place to buy in bulk

Edit:

Also here are some others

https://www.veetireco.com/listings/fat-tire-apache-fatty-slick/
https://www.veetireco.com/listings/fat-speedster/
https://www.veetireco.com/listings/fat-tire-zig-zag/

Edit 2:
Just wondering have you tried going directly to http://en.jiluer.com/bencandy.php?fid=42&id=717# and asking how much for 4 to etc tires?

Last edited:
I bought a a fat tire e-trike on alibaba in 2017. I have been looking for cool looking street tires ever since. I eventually bought Mongoose 20 x 4 & 26 x 4 dirt tires on amazon for the trike. I ordered more of the same from amazon but they are not the same pattern. They did not change the ad photo. As I stated, the only patterns I like are on alibaba.

The trike shipped with 65mm rims, and a VERY ugly front tire. I eventually had to buy 20 x 4 (100mm) & 26 x 4 replacement rims from Mongoose, then have the hub motor and rear hubs laced onto the Mongoose rims.

The tires are not on aliexpress.

The sample tires are coming from Jiluer. They will only sell samples one time. I eventually want to buy 8 more of the Jiluer flame pattern 20 x 4 1/4" for 2 other projects I will be building. They used to show the tire in 26 x 4 1/4 but removed the size from ads.

The company that makes the tires in the photo below has the P1069 in 20 x 4 1/4" . They used to advertise the P1030 in 20 x 4 1/4" but those ads have been taken down. Both companies will make any style tire in the sizes I want if I pay for the molds. Power Peak is the company that makes Mongoose tires like the ones I bought on amazon.

I took Bafang motor out of the red bike in the photo to put in the quad. The black bike has the Bafang ultra drive motor, I bought on alibaba.

Attachments

• Dscn0553s.jpg
    Dscn0553s.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 291
  • Dscn0568s.jpg
    Dscn0568s.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 259
  • Screenshot_20190726-085450.jpg
    Screenshot_20190726-085450.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 252
  • Screenshot_20190724-134159.jpg
    Screenshot_20190724-134159.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 301
  • bikes small.JPG
    bikes small.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 247
  • Ultradrive1s.jpg
    Ultradrive1s.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
The socal races have shown that the fatter the tires (if slicks), the better you are around corners. The most common tire is the 2.5" maxxis hookworm. I saw someone with a 55mm rim that made it a 2.7" width.
Large tires take more power to spool, and strong brakes to slow down. you need to find a happy medium for your application.

What price point are we talking and how much power you making? I know those ebikes make a ton of TQ and use some heavy duty parts, but depending on how serious you are there may be another option vs a massive bulk order for custom stuff.

Have you thought of just using a dirtbike hoop+DOT tire combo? They are measured differently and an 18" dirtbike hoop with a 110/90 tire is almost exactly 26" OD (28.5") and depending on the tire roughly 4.3" wide. The tires are around $55 for a decent name brand like Shinko and will last probably 20x longer than a bicycle tire and do better in the rain. They are also basically puncture proof on a bicycle (not heavy enough to drive a nail through and too thick to be pierced by thorns and crap).

Downside? The weight is crazy, probably 5x as heavy as a fatbike 4" tire+tube, it will need custom spokes, big disc brakes to slow you down, and you have to build each wheel yourself.

I read an article about mounting motorcycle tires on Schwinn chopper bicycle wheels. I will stay with bicycle tires for now.

The Bafang 48 volt 1000 watt mid drive motor has awesome power stock. Gearing will start out with 7 speed 12-28T cassette, 42T chain ring on motor. This gear combo pulls great on 26" fat bike. Exact same setup on a 20" bmx fat bike will rip the bike out from under me in low gear.

I have 100mm rims to mount the recumbent hubs on.

I will have 180mm disk brakes on rear wheels. Eventually I plan on having disk brakes all four wheels. The photo of the rear axle in my first post shows a disk brake attached to differential. That will be used for parking brake. Service brakes will be hub mounted.

For now I will likely settle for kenda style tires that have the same tread pattern in 20" & 26".

Attachments

• bikes small.JPG
    bikes small.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 233
Back