E-gebe

MX21

Local time
11:10 AM
I had a GEBE on my mountain bike and while it worked ok, I've really been wanting to go electric, since I fly RC electric airplanes. I also want to be a little more stealthy.

I had already purchased a speed controller and was selecting a motor and batteries, doing the calculations, when I saw what this guy was doing:

http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/shumaker/default.htm

That spurred me on since he was successfully using almost identical components to what I had picked out. I was trying to figure out how to attach my motor and drive the wheel when I realized I already had the mounting bracket and belt reduction in my GEBE. So I pulled the gas engine off the bracket, drilled 4 bolt holes and mounted my electric brushless motor. I got an HTD pulley to fit the motor so it will work with the HTD belt and ring.

Haven't ridden it yet, still mounting the rest of the electronics. But bench testing looks good so far.

Think it will work?

MX

Last edited:
photos

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,081
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 1,066
  • Closeup.jpg
    Closeup.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 551
Looks great. I have thought about the same idea. Hope it does well for you !!

Intresting..

Q: How does that big rim looking pulley fit/mount to the spoked wheel ?

It has a bunch of notches in the edge that snap onto the spokes. You can sort of see it in this photo:

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 536
Hi,

I cant see why it wouldnt work, but I suggest some sort of variac controller or the power delivery will be snatchy which is the last thing you want.

I would also most definately advise a powerful horn - 30mph while sounding like a lawnmower on amphetamines is one thing - people can hear you. 30mph on something thats practically silent is another.

good luck with it - and if you get it working dont forget to talk to the people at GEBE - I think Dennis would be very interested in the concept since it has advantages of quietness and compactness..

Jemma xx

Hi,

I cant see why it wouldnt work, but I suggest some sort of variac controller or the power delivery will be snatchy which is the last thing you want.

I would also most definately advise a powerful horn - 30mph while sounding like a lawnmower on amphetamines is one thing - people can hear you. 30mph on something thats practically silent is another.

good luck with it - and if you get it working dont forget to talk to the people at GEBE - I think Dennis would be very interested in the concept since it has advantages of quietness and compactness..

Jemma xx

I wired up a thumb throttle lever to control motor speed. It has a spring return to so throttle goes off if released (required in California I think). I'm using a standard RC speed controller that takes a pulse width input for speed control. The throttle lever is wired into a servo tester to generate the require pulse width control from the pot.

MX

Last edited:
Update: tested a run around the block. I get a little bit of skipping of the belt if I throttle up too fast, especially uphill. That's manageable. Under load though, I'm getting some slip and squealing from the motor. I think I have to change some options in the brushless speed controller to prevent it getting out of sync with the motor.

MX

that looks like a great idea.......i think that opens up alot of possibilities......i like the belt drive idea better than most as far as motorized bikes...i think i'll look into a 1000watt motor as opposed to a 4 stroke now.............**** you i was just ready to buy a gebe kit with a tanaka 40cc engine.........but now im gonna keep up with your progress as i may just "go green"

that looks like a great idea.......i think that opens up alot of possibilities......i like the belt drive idea better than most as far as motorized bikes...i think i'll look into a 1000watt motor as opposed to a 4 stroke now.............**** you i was just ready to buy a gebe kit with a tanaka 40cc engine.........but now im gonna keep up with your progress as i may just "go green"

I may have a Tanaka 40cc engine for sale soon. :LOL:

MX

Back