E+ Mountain Bike - nice or just a flash in the pan ?

you touched on something I've been meaning to ask - a lot of folks are always "fixing" something ? Do you mean upgrading or are electric bikes that troublesome ? I have two gas bikes and aside from their actual assembly - they've needed nearly nothing from me since ? I do need to be more vigilant with the tightening of bolts but I am not sure what everyone else is doing ? Now, I have looked at pics of your bike (that you posted) and have seen the pics of other "hotrods" and I can see just how much has gone into them to make them such impressive performers ... but are electric bikes that troublesome ? Will a common BD36 type hub motor kit w/a 48V battery cause me much grief ? I hope to make a commuter out of my project and not a saturday night special - it'll need to run faithfully 16 miles Mon to Fri (weather permiting) and any tips for an electric commuter bike will be much appreciated. If you need to ground my expectations because it's not realistic - I'll appreciate that too.

I own EPLUS 1000w 36v and did converted it to Lithium battery.
Inside EPLUS motor at 14,100 kilometers - spotless.
Why?- quality materials, design.

EPLUS motor inside 015.JPG
EPLUS motor inside 022.JPG
EPLUS motor inside 023.JPG
I own EPLUS 1000W 36V and it is real electric drive kit,
to this day I reached 14,100 kilometers /!!!/ on it.
BTW I dont live in mild climate but in harsh Canadian climate.
I did conversion to Lithium and forgot about front wheel Nickel battery long time ago.
first:
- EPLUS is designed to Western standards, means fail safe designed meaning:
you cannot overheat it for example - no burned motor here, full thermal protection which not just cut off power like that but limit power.
How important it is? well, ever read about those burned motors on ES forum and other ebike forums ????
Such protections , fail safe design should be obvious with ebikes just like home appliance but it is not. This what I mean by Western standards .
DIY ebike is educational for sure , exercise in electrical engineering , contrary to what sellers of kits advertise it is not usually 1 hour conversion, kits use cheap China controllers, cheap made of recycle pot alu covers motors.
But the most ridiculous is that the user can be blamed for burned motors on such cheap kits.
Many DIY builds went so far as opening motors and:
- replacing crap hall sensors with quality ones
- installing temp sensors
- replacing ridiculous thin phase wires with thicker ones
- weatherproofing with silicone
amount of silicone and duck tape on some builds ...
Don't you think many just want to ride with clean hands?? well worth money.

With EPLUS you can ride uphill as long as you like no need "to touch" motor for temp.
Controller is built into motor and it is sophisticated one Field Oriented Control with magnetic filed weakening - the best you can have in many aspects.
And it is just for start.
there other things like real weatherproof connectors/$$$/ /weatherproofing connectors - another nonsense /
How many DD motor will look like that inside after over 14,000kilometers ridden in Canadian climate?

Last edited:
Hard to find Canadian supplier.
I used A123 20 Ah cells to build 12S 36V battery, one of the best, LiFePo chemistry.
Bought from Stortronics , Livonia, USA.

Back