easiest way to turn columbia fake tank into real one?

ThunderBubble

Local time
6:42 PM
Hello, I'm about to start a new project on my columbia cruiser, the 1937 remake model. It has a super nice fake gas tank, but I'm wondering what the easiest way to turn that into a working one would be. I can't weld, so maybe some sort of gas tank sealer? another question, how would i add a gas cap, and threaded hole in the
bottom for the valve. Any help would be amazing thanks for reading :D
here are some pictures of it.

MRSOd8g.jpg

8BZ4pKs.jpg

https://motoredbikes.com/threads/columbia-1937-board-tracker-real-gas-tank.44806/

it'll be a challenge without welding, but it's all simple fabrication so someone may be able to do the welding part for you. otherwise, you may be able to get away with simply riviting it together and using por-15 tank sealant to get it all water tight. at that point you just have to figure out the petcock and filler tube.

Last edited:
oh his is different than mine, i just took the gas tank off my bike and turns out the whole thing is welded! Only thing i have to figure out is the 2 giant holes, and the screws. here are some pictures of just the tank. This is the bottom of the tank.

UIvuN2e.jpg

AXuFHkB.jpg

well that makes most of it easier. you're probably going to want a tube coming off the side somewhere to act as the filler neck. you'll still need to seal off those big holes

as for the screw holes, make the ones in the bottom into studs. just stick a piece of threaded rod in there, as long as you can make it and still get the tank in. the top one you can keep as is, if fuel is coming out there it's coming out the gas cap anyway.

Back