easy way to install rear sprocket evenly 1st try..

Rick73

Local time
2:01 PM
I found an easy way to assure my rear sprocket was on evenly without having to adjust it later.
you will need a washer the size of the sprocket hole and make sure the hole in the middle of the washer is the same size of your axle. the cardboard that you get from an empty role of electrical tape and some tape.
tape the washer on the cardboard roll ( as pictured ) put the washer over your axle ( cardboard down washer on top ) and snug it down with the axle nut.
simply put the sprocket on and you will see it's a perfect fit. now just tighten on the sprocket evenly.
hope it helps I know it saved me time when I swapped sprockets from a 44 tooth to a 28 tooth.

Attachments

• 20180120_163118.jpg
    20180120_163118.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 232
  • 20180120_163429.jpg
    20180120_163429.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 210
  • 20180120_163444.jpg
    20180120_163444.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 175
saw some folks doing that years ago - they used a piece of PVC pipe - seemed OK

might not be as simple as winding masking tape around the end of the hub that sprocket will sit on until sprocket fits snug on tape - cut excess tape off with box cutter when done

might not be as simple as winding masking tape around the end of the hub that sprocket will sit on until sprocket fits snug on tape - cut excess tape off with box cutter when done

works great. after you tighten the sprocket you unscrew the nut and lift of the washer/cardboard it's not attached to the sprocket. I still got mine so if I decide to swap sprockets again.

see it's not taped to the sprocket

Attachments

• 20180120_184848.jpg
    20180120_184848.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 186
yes, a good friend of mine used to do it that way - it fit a lot of wheels, but not all

Here's an easier way:

step 1: throw that sprocket out
step 2: Buy a clam shell sprocket
step 3: install the bolts and tighten them in a clockwise rotation

Here's an easier way:

step 1: throw that sprocket out
step 2: Buy a clam shell sprocket
step 3: install the bolts and tighten them in a clockwise rotation
This thread is discussing ways to mount the stock sprocket with the rubber spoke clamp evenly. If we are on the topic of fitting a sprocket to your wheel spending extra money, then screw the clamshell adapter, its all about mounting it to a disk brake hub or the HD wheel at www.bicycle-engines.com that has a freewheel sprocket on the left side.

Im not aure if your'e talking about the rag joints but I gave up on the rag joint sprockets after my first build they're just a hassle if you ask me the cnc aluminum sprocket adapters are much better even better if they made them with a keyway.

price of kit & adapter & sprocket = price of two kits

laziness costs

Back