Jackshaft Ebay Jackshafts?

Derailleur; not enough dough nor experience lacing wheels to do a internal. Though I'd REALLY like to and probably will eventually.
Trust me on these two things, first internal is nearly always better, no exposure to the elements, one sprocket and therefore stronger chain can be used. Second, lacing a wheel has got to be one of the easiest things to pick up. I can remember as a kid doing it, just make a carbon copy of another wheel, pluck it with a finger to make sure it's tight, and flip it over in a bike frame to check if it's centered (dished) using a ruler and a rubber band.

It's an easy skill to aquire, and plenty useful if you deal with bikes a lot.

From my experience I haven't seen a j shaft derailleur MB that works well, or lasts very long. I picked up lacing on a you tube video super easy, but I am lazy so I take the wheel to a local bike shop for truing.

wow gary thats not what i want to hear i just bought all the parts to do a peddal chopper style jack shaft set up on my pro street to try and get the best of both acceleration and top speed!

wow gary thats not what i want to hear i just bought all the parts to do a peddal chopper style jack shaft set up on my pro street to try and get the best of both acceleration and top speed!
Your not going to use a derailleur are you? You gota go internal hub or nuvinci. I don't think a derailleur is gona handle the power you get out of your bikes. I love the j shafted bikes I have, but they are internal hubs.

i was thinking that all the torque goes to the free wheel from the middle of the back side forward to the top and that the derailer was not really under any load ?

You guys are a lot smarter than me. When it comes to gearing I am a trial and error kinda guy. I have never had a derail. MB of my own. I am relying only on the experiences of those I have worked on. A real pain in the but. So many gears with the chain constantly jumping around from one to the other. I like the smooth transition of gear change the internal provides. Deraileur is jerky jumpy me no likey. Have you looked at the nuvinci hub? Constant variable hub 0.5 underdrive to 1.8 overdrive in the 360 and 1.9 in the 380. I can just imagine how fast you could make this go would be straight up s**t your pants scary. Kinda pricey but oh so cool.

The largest problem I had was chain jumping sprockets under load.
I would happen occasionally and you could see the damage to sprocket teeth.
I'm sure it was damaging to the chain as well.

KC is right about shifters and compression.
I stripped the aluminum freewheel threads on the pedal crank from too much compression.
Best to back off on the compression on shifter bikes. You have the gears for low speed torque so high compression not really needed. Piped 2 stroke can make same top end power regardless of initial compression. That is why MX only run 1 ring, has minimal effect on top HP for a lot less friction. A shifter with high compression is a biatch to kick over too.

Steve

Derailleur set up will handle the power just fine. Changing gears with a twist shifter on the left and twist throttle on the right feels quite natural. Learn how to adjust your derailleur, it's pretty easy.

Back