Jackshaft Ebay Jackshafts?

As a lot of things in the forum we all have our own preferences. One thing is for sure if you chose the derailleur set up you will quickly become a expert at adjusting it, and adjusting it, and adjusting it.

From my experience I haven't seen a j shaft derailleur MB that works well, or lasts very long. I picked up lacing on a you tube video super easy, but I am lazy so I take the wheel to a local bike shop for truing.
I have a friend whom I work closely with on motorized bikes, his puppy uses very very good shimano parts, and a chain for use on electric motorized bikes. It's meant to take the high torque and sideload expected from a powerful motor driving a bike with a derailleur. Kmc brand and well worth the 40 dollars.

My internal gear is running pretty well, still need to get a tiny bit of stretch for the long chain to be shortened half a link and then the chains will be perfect.

I can see where high end parts could make a difference. I don't see a lot of them on the bikes I work on.

thats why i had asked about the chain before if it would handle the load ok,I have a shimano sis type derailer and the shimano mega range 11-34 free wheel thats nickle plated both look strong and work smoothly they are already on the bike just currently being peddled, all i need now is a steel pipe or tube with 1 and 3/8 id to fit the bearings to make the shaft mount.

Yes a good chain is very important. The biggest problem we see are people starting with all new (motor) parts on a used bike, with a.................30 year old chain. The chain being fairly shot to start with, breaks the first season. A new, good quality chain will last a long time.

I'm not so worried about adjusting derailleurs as that's something I'm decent at anyways and I have a brand new KMC 7 speed chain on the bike so I'm not so worried about that either. I figure I just need to be super careful about the habits I pick up when I learn to shift the engine and I'll probably be fine until I pony up for the internal hub. I have a couple of wheels I can practice rebuilding anyways so I'll get around to that eventually

thats why i had asked about the chain before if it would handle the load ok,I have a shimano sis type derailer and the shimano mega range 11-34 free wheel thats nickle plated both look strong and work smoothly they are already on the bike just currently being peddled, all i need now is a steel pipe or tube with 1 and 3/8 id to fit the bearings to make the shaft mount.
Don't know much about chains for cassettes. I like this for my 410 set ups. Gusset your j shaft tube well. They like to twist.

Yeah, sometimes I'd power up before the chain was fully wrapped, or my derailleur was not aligned right and it would jump as I powered up. It chipped bent and burred a few teeth. Mostly operator error. Still ran for many miles.

I built a left side tensioner just like that Gary. It worked well.
410 (BMX, single speed bike chain) worked well for the system.

Back