Jackshaft Ebay Jackshafts?

If you run a derailleur use KMC HL710 chain, it helps, and be sure to use the jump stop!
When in first gear the chain wants to jump off to the inside and trying to get it back out is a MAJOR PITA.

Forget using a Nuvinci hub, they won't take gas power, out the 6 Cadillac bikes that came with them, all died but one with a 48cc and and another on a electric died in short order.
Besides, you just don't need that many shift points with an engine!

Bicycle gearing shift points are designed for a humans wimpy leg power, on a 7-speed I skip-shift and just use the even numbered gears, heck an internal 3-speed is all you need though I have been using 5-speed SA's for a bit more flexibility but mostly because it accommodates a disc brake.

As for lacing a geared hub yourself Pfftt, you are putting engine power at the thing and I don't trust my work for such a crucial thing and just have my local bike shop professionally lace it up for $50.
That and of course the time it takes to do myself, I have better things to do with my time ;-}

Not to say I'm the bike god or anything, but I trust my own work and when I don't I just don't use it and get it done professionally, that being said Until I've laced a few hubs myself I can't say if I'll trust my own work yet haha

Which 5 speed hub set do you use and do you need anything special besides the hub? I'm looking through the internals and either see absurdly expensive hubs w/ disk brake mounting points or coaster/rim only for dirt cheap

Which 5 speed hub set do you use and do you need anything special besides the hub? I'm looking through the internals and either see absurdly expensive hubs w/ disk brake mounting points or coaster/rim only for dirt cheap
Well, a coaster brake is useless on a shifter, when you pedal backwards the pedals just freewheel so you can't activate it.

If you have some good rim or disc brakes no problem, if not you won't have a rear brake ;-}

Jackshaft installed and been tuning it now sorting out tensions and spacing but man does it feel good to shift. I took KC's advice and tend to skip a gear when climbing, seems to work a lot better than climbing the whole range.

Jackshaft installed and been tuning it now sorting out tensions and spacing but man does it feel good to shift. I took KC's advice and tend to skip a gear when climbing, seems to work a lot better than climbing the whole range.
Glad I could help make it more enjoyable to ride ;-}

I run a shifter bike with a Sick Bike jack shaft, and 7 speed derailleur, and really enjoy it. I use a left side twist grip shifter and a dual pull right side hand brake. I have used this set-up for three full seasons, and have found that once you have things dialled in, it is a nice reliable set-up, with really quick shifts. Having said that, I heavily reinforced the bracket holding the jack shaft bearings, and highly recommend using the Sick Bike left side chain tensioner, because it includes a third jack shaft bearing and mount, which really stabilizes the whole set up, as well as tensioning the primary chain.
With 7 speeds, as KC says, you can skip shifts at will, but man is it ever nice to be able to select a ratio that is just right for matching the engine sweet spot to the road you're riding, and not beat your little thumper up at high revs for sustained high speed.
I do miss the loss of engine braking that comes with the freewheel necessary for jack shafting though.
Keep in mind though that I don't have any experience with an internal shifting hub, so I don't have any basis for comparison of the two.
I'm in a bit of a hurry right now, but if anyone would like some pictures of the above noted modifications, just let me know and I'll post some.

I run a shifter bike with a Sick Bike jack shaft, and 7 speed derailleur, and really enjoy it. I use a left side twist grip shifter and a dual pull right side hand brake. I have used this set-up for three full seasons, and have found that once you have things dialled in, it is a nice reliable set-up, with really quick shifts. Having said that, I heavily reinforced the bracket holding the jack shaft bearings, and highly recommend using the Sick Bike left side chain tensioner, because it includes a third jack shaft bearing and mount, which really stabilizes the whole set up, as well as tensioning the primary chain.
With 7 speeds, as KC says, you can skip shifts at will, but man is it ever nice to be able to select a ratio that is just right for matching the engine sweet spot to the road you're riding, and not beat your little thumper up at high revs for sustained high speed.
I do miss the loss of engine braking that comes with the freewheel necessary for jack shafting though.
Keep in mind though that I don't have any experience with an internal shifting hub, so I don't have any basis for comparison of the two.
I'm in a bit of a hurry right now, but if anyone would like some pictures of the above noted modifications, just let me know and I'll post some.
I'd love to see them! durability is key for me and the tensioner is probably coming my way soon

OK Jonj57. Here are a few shots.
The stiffener slides underneath the stock Sick Bike Jackshaft bracket and forks down around the Jackshaft bearings to keep them steadier as well.
At the same time, it really stiffens up the rear engine mount.
The over-all shot in the pictures shows the left-side chain tensioner bracket with the third jackshaft bearing, and you can also see the top of the stiffener sitting just on top of the stock Sick Bike jackshaft bracket.

Attachments

• Stiffener1.jpg
    Stiffener1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 226
  • Stiffener2.jpg
    Stiffener2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Stiffener3.jpg
    Stiffener3.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Stiffener4.jpg
    Stiffener4.jpg