Ebay spring loaded chain tensioner

Carlos motors

Local time
1:00 PM
Or

Are they any good? I have problem with regular tensioner that my sprocket is not alligned 100% but maybe has 2 mm difference and because of that my chain is loose and then when I turn wheel a bit, chain gets a lot tighter. Do you think this would help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
From the look of that second one, I don't see how you're going to get the clutch to work. If you have two big adjustable wrenches, you can twist the one in the kit and make it work better.
If you turn your wheel and the chain gets tighter, that sounds like the drive gear on the wheel isn't centered on the wheel axle.

Carlos, 2mm can be offset by just one or 2 washers. Can that possibly work for ya?

Yeah it is complicated to explain and my english isnt the best. Sprocket doesnt have offset in left or right but when you look at center hole you can see it isnt alligned perfectly. Question is why is that? Because I dont have ordinary hub but shimano nexus 7. And I had to make center hole bigger with cnc machine. Also my bolts are not perfectly straight but they go trough this holes (red points on picture). I hope you understood.

Attachments

• 20200321_184136.jpg
    20200321_184136.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 428
You have to measure from the outside of the hole to the tip of the tooth on the sprocket at many points all around the sprocket. For it to be perfectly centered all the measurements have to be equal. If you are machining the parts, that seems to be the best way to get everything even. The bolts should be straight.

The front small sprocket is slightly non concentric as well and causes my chain slack to go up and down as it goes around. It's not too bad and i only ride in the 20s so i live with it but something to look at on yours. If there's room on your sprocket maybe you can rotate it a little and re drill new holes.

I have the first one, and it requires a little bit of modification (just drilling another higher hole for enough tension) to get working, and you just have to make sure the hinge bolt isn't too tight or loose, but other than that, it surprisingly works really well!

I have the first one, and it requires a little bit of modification (just drilling another higher hole for enough tension) to get working, and you just have to make sure the hinge bolt isn't too tight or loose, but other than that, it surprisingly works really well!
Hi
Can you sent me a picture of yours so I can understand where to drill a hole?

I can send a pic later, but for reference now, it's just in a similar location along the outer arc to the other two holes, just higher up so the spring has more tension. I had to drill a couple holes to get one with good spring tension, you just have to do it by feel.

Many people use those spring loaded chain tensioners and swear by them. I've never used one because I never had trouble with my chain not lining up or jumping the sprocket, but I don't use the rag joint set up either.

Back