Ebike help

Neufcruz

Local time
10:19 PM
I built a custom 1000w ebike using a AW 1000w/48v rear motor hubs. The kit off Amazon.
For a few years I used a dyi 48v bitterly. Recently I had a custom 56v/20amp battery made. I asked for 52v but guy said controller would handle etc...
I installed and bike ran fine for a while and would top at 34mph and 30miles to a charge. One day it just died. No power /controller off. Battery has full power. How do I check controller to see if bad and could it of been the 56v?
If controller- what better controller for a 1000w hub and 56v battery?
Thanks in advance for any help

I'd check every wire and their connections. I know the Voilamart 1000w 48v control box has setting for the battery that the user has.

Those settings go from 36v up to 72v in the Voilamart 1000w ebike kit control box.

Crazy thing is, I bought a 60v battery and asked the seller that i bought the ebike kit from to sell me a 60v control box,
which he did but i see no difference between the 48v control box and the 60v control box.

Check very carefully your settings....

Welcome to the forums and Ride Safe! :)

HP

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
How far do you ride at 34 miles per hour? You might have fried the BMS? or something in the control box? or the motor itself? :unsure:

@Frogslayer had to replace his BMS, he might know something 🧐

Ride Safe! :)

HP

I built a custom 1000w ebike using a AW 1000w/48v rear motor hubs. The kit off Amazon.
For a few years I used a dyi 48v bitterly. Recently I had a custom 56v/20amp battery made. I asked for 52v but guy said controller would handle etc...
I installed and bike ran fine for a while and would top at 34mph and 30miles to a charge. One day it just died. No power /controller off. Battery has full power. How do I check controller to see if bad and could it of been the 56v?
If controller- what better controller for a 1000w hub and 56v battery?
Thanks in advance for any help
Was there a BMS in the battery? (Battery Management System=BMS)

Did the guy Check to see if the controler was compitable? :unsure:

A standard 48 volt lithium ion battery is 13 cells in series. At 4.2 volts per cell, the charger will charge the battery to 54.6 volts (battery charge voltage is usually found somewhere on the charger). This is usually stated in cell specs as 13S meaning 13 cells in series.

I personally use what's known as a 52 volt battery, also known as 14S, meaning 14 cells in series. At a full charge cutoff of 4.2 volts per cell, the pack will charge to 58.8 volts. 14 x 4.2 - 58.8 volts.

If you have what is a 56 volt battery, then that would be a 15S battery. 15 cells in series times 4.2 volts per cell would give a full charge voltage of 63 volts.

There is the first problem. Many electrolytic capacitors are rated at 63 volts (a standard voltage for capacitor voltage ranges; next rating upward is usually 100 volts). You're right at that limit. Stressed capacitors can either blow apart or they may simply show a swelling on the top of the capacitor. Either way, the capacitor is destroyed.

Controller MOSFETs are the other device. Power in watts is equal to the voltage multiplied by the current. In your controller, you probably have a 20 amp output rating. For power, 48 volts times 20 amps = 960 watts. Now let's increase the voltage from your 56 volt pack. When charged to full and delivering 63 volts, that 63 volts time 20 amps will equal 1260 watts. That will generate more heat in the controller. If the bike is ridden hard for an extended period of time it is not uncommon to fry the MOSFET output transistors. This condition will be compounded if the controller is in a bag or hidden/protected from airflow needed for cooling the aluminum enclosure, which is used as a heat sink for the MOSFETs.

This video on youtube helped me a lot the first time around.

I can't say exactly what the problem is, but I would start with the controller, using visual inspection and testing as shown in the video. If you are unable to get this done, then you can't go wrong with simply replacing the controller. They are not that expensive and are all very similar. Using a lower voltage/higher capacity battery or replacing it with a 60 volt controller will be the only long term fix. Also realize that with the higher voltages or currents, you motor is being stressed more, heating up more, and will fail quicker.

Edit: I hope a couple links are OK; not endorsing or promoting anyone. Just a quick search....

Last edited:
The controller alone isn't enough, you also need a BMS [Battery Manage System] to help with your problemo. Just a generic controller will not know values and how to interpret them to optimize battery performance/longevity. Ideally Lipo[?] batteries should be used between 20% to 80% of charge, only charging to 100% rarely to maximize charge memory. Following those principles will get you 2000 charges out of the batt instead of just 500. Those rules also gives the battery the memory to have 80/100% power all throughout the 20/80% charge. If not charging that way a battery can start to feel anemic just below 50% charge after 100 or so charges. As you probably know when a battery starts to get low it doesn't take long for you to be pedaling to power the bike. I'm not an expert but have read a lot about it and that seems to be the general consensus amongst folks with experience and those that design the batteries ie. manufacturers. When your spending $1000's on an electric bike you want to maximize the life span of the bike and the battery is the most expensive part on the bike to replace.

Absolutely true about a BMS. A person can build a battery pack fairly easily, but not properly designed with a BMS, that battery pack has a rather short lifespan with possible catastrophic consequences. A person should never use or buy such a battery. I assume, maybe wrongly, that the person building a battery pack would/should take such methods to make a decent battery.

The poster did state that the battery had voltage output. His failure seemed very sudden, more like an electronics failure, and his battery showed full charge.

My first controller failure occurred while the bike was shut off! Rode the bike down the road at a fairly decent clip for about 3 miles. Stopped at the pub for a couple hours. Bike never powered back on. I believe the heat buildup (the large finned side had a fabric bag against it) caused the failure because the bike was stopped without any airflow immediately after the heat generating ride. This bike had an LCD display, and it showed Error06, indicating a short in the motor or controller. Inspection showed 6 shorted MOSFETs. Replacement solved all problems, including blocking airflow. I moved the bag!

Back