ebike time?

Bonefish

Local time
12:45 PM
I can't beleive I'm saying this but I might be getting an ebike. I still believe that the technology is still too new to weigh the cost benifit of buying an ebike or building one new. But I came across one that the guy is selling used for $500.

It is a Trek Marlin 7 with a CSC 1500watt motor and a 52Volt battery. Here is a picture of it........
oDJTB2X.jpg

Nice looking bike, is there a brand to the electric bike or is it a self installed kit? How many amp hours is the batt? The distance you can go is the key w/o having a spare battery. If you can go 20mi[?] then 10 mi is your range or your pedaling a tank home. Electricbikeforums is a great site for info on electrics and different brands.

Dang I was just thinking 1500w motor. That's a beast, 2hp Bone. Mine was rated 750w so it could still be considered a bicycle legally and was powerful enough. That motor is going to drain a battery quick if your heavy on the throttle. Lots to think about, $500 though is a great price if it works as intended.

The bike looks pretty good for $500 which you can probably haggle to $450 or better. The handle bar speakers are interesting; I usually just wear earbuds. Looks like the controller is mounted on the rear rack; you can put that underneath the bottom tube and make a water/rain wick enclosure for the top of the controller where the wires enter if you ride in the rain a lot. This is definitely a DIY ebike kit so no brand.

Details about the battery is essential. It is good that it is 52V so has a bit more power. Looks like a 10-12aH at max so bike would do great for 20 mi only throttle and 40 mi with PAS and pedaling. You should ask what is the max continuous amps as well as capacity of course. The pedal cog is really small looks like he fake pedals.

I might venture into repurposing used EV or LTO industrial batteries for ebikes this year. The market is pretty hot so its hard to get used LTO batteries as they sell so fast. This will be a learning experience. But, I will share the results as these stupid 18650 battery packs from EV bike companies are a damn rip off. I am looking to do $100 per kwH and about 3-4 kwH in total. I might even try to do a LTO and EV hybrid where the LTO battery is used first (more cycles, higher C) and then it goes to the EV battery. Think about it as an advance reserve gas tank concept. So, maybe like 20-30 miles on LTO and then 40-60 miles on EV. Majority of time, it be just LTO.

Woops went on tangent. I say buy it; its so cheap but as question about battery = max cont amp, capacity, cycles (or how long he/she been using it).

Well i just ordered a 48v 1500w hub and controller, and a 48v 20ah battery that im putting on my way cheaper mongoose mountain bike and I'll still have $500 into it. I'd say you got a smoking good deal if the bikes in good shape. Trek bikes are awesome.

Rats.....He sold it to someone else. Guess it isn't time yet for me.
You'll find another I'm sure.

For a long time I was against ebikes due to their obvious shortcomings 5-10 years ago but we are finally getting to where there are some IMPRESSIVE options for the money. Still expensive compared to a gas bike, but starting to be close to having the pros outweigh the cons IMO (and I am a die hard gas guy who has raced pretty much everything on 2 or 4 wheels).

Tony1 on here has an ebike that is one of the sickest motorized bikes around - note I didn't say one of the sickest ebikes, but sickest motorized bike period. Took a lot more knowledge than just slapping a kit on a bike, but I bet in a few years similar builds will be possible from people with half the knowledge and half the cost thanks to par costs dropping and wider adoption making parts more easily available.

You'll find another I'm sure.

For a long time I was against ebikes due to their obvious shortcomings 5-10 years ago but we are finally getting to where there are some IMPRESSIVE options for the money. Still expensive compared to a gas bike, but starting to be close to having the pros outweigh the cons IMO (and I am a die hard gas guy who has raced pretty much everything on 2 or 4 wheels).

Tony01 on here has an ebike that is one of the sickest motorized bikes around - note I didn't say one of the sickest ebikes, but sickest motorized bike period. Took a lot more knowledge than just slapping a kit on a bike, but I bet in a few years similar builds will be possible from people with half the knowledge and half the cost thanks to par costs dropping and wider adoption making parts more easily available.

I've been thinking about this.
Looking at the 3000W SBP doomahickey!
Those batteries are attrocious in price o_O

Back