eBike with no pedals

HPIM3722.JPG

In AZ it would be considered a motorcycle, no different from a Harley or Hayabusa, and have the same requirements. Pedal ebikes and even gas powered bikes up to 48cc (that's 48cc not 49cc) are considered bicycles, with no requirements at all, other than a speed limit of 20 mph.

Ca. DMV Motorcycle Handbook 2016, Motorized bicycles or moped, page 2, and read class 2 again. The NEW handbooks should be out soon, it seems every year they are changing the rules, so I keep all of the past issues.
The current CA Electric Bicycle laws.

An electric bicycle is a bicycle equipped with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts, and is categorized by the following:

1. Class 1 electric bicycle is equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches a speed of 20 miles per hour.
  2. Class 2 electric bicycle is equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches a speed of 20 miles per hour.
  3. Class 3 electric bicycle is equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches a speed of 28 miles per hour. This bicycle is equipped with a speedometer.
A person riding an electric bicycle is subject to the same provisions as a person riding a bicycle, as described in Chapter 1 of Division 11, commencing with Section 21200 CVC.

• Must be 16 years of age or older to ride a Class 3 electric bicycle.
  • A person under the age of 18 must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet when riding on a public roadway or bikeway.
  • It is unlawful to operate an electrically motorized board (hoverboard) on a roadway while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
  • Use may be restricted or prohibited by local ordinance.

At least in AZ you don't have to wear a helmet. I am 60 years old, have been riding bicycles, including ICE motorized bicycles all my life, and have never owned or worn a helmet. I also ride motorcycles, and do wear a helmet for that, but more for protection from the wind and all the debris in that wind than for crash protection.

What kind of distance do you expect to get out of it? Range is my main concern with an ebike. Not interested in speed

The Rad bikes you were looking at use a 48V 14aH battery pack from Samsung 35E (8A) cells, which means it is in a 13S4P configuration. This gives you 32A max in terms of continuous speeds. I like to run packs at 25-33% of max amps to prolong life and range so lets say 8 to 10A, which is 384-480W. With the geared motor, this is like 16-18 MPH maybe 20MPH if you have a long straight road no wind. With the Rad 48V 14aH battery pack, it has 672wH so about an hour and half at 17mph so that is like 25-26 miles no pedaling. Going slower like 15mph (300W), you should get a bit over 30 miles.

Battery runs out just Flinstone it! The electric bike I had weighed about 75lbs and was like pedaling a truck with no power, no fun. That's why knowing your range is important so you know when to turn around and go back. If the batts weren't so expensive an extra batt is the answer but $1400 [52v 19ah and battery is fitted to only that bike] is a lot. Just for the extra batt. That's why I'm back at a gas motor, only limit is amount of fuel hauled and knowing where fuel stations are.

Back