Effects of running wrong oil

Nickt919

Local time
5:47 PM
I called it the wrong oil because it stopped the pipe in a short time.

A bit hard to see but if you look close it’s about 95% stopped up.
Several big pieces of crappy spooge build up fell out when I took the pipe off.

A guy asked me to look at his engine because he said the power was low.
Told me it was 8 stroking…. Went beyond 4 stroking. Too much pedal assist to get up to speed.

I’m hoping to clean it all up and put him on full synthetic.

Attachments

• IMG_5515.jpeg
    IMG_5515.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 94
I don't know what he was mixing in his gasoline. Told me it was 40:1 mix.
That almost looks like a heavy mix ratio of 4 stroke oil
You know...you're probably absolutely correct. It's not just inside the flange. It goes down as far as I can push a long screwdriver...into the bend....packed solid. New pipe time. I'm not digging all that crap out
He was wondering why his engine was sluggish.

I've been around many small 2 stroke engines through out my life time but have never seen such a huge compaction like this. Have seen long term castor use with no cleaning make a big ole mess but not this.

You could attempt to cook it out, but I suspect the pipe may not survive that much heat for that long either. New pipes are pretty cheap.

You could attempt to cook it out, but I suspect the pipe may not survive that much heat for that long either. New pipes are pretty cheap.
It looks alot like what happened years ago when Quaker State, (Quaker Sludge), screwed up their additive pkg to their four stroke motor oil and sludged up the engines to a stand still...Looks very much like what I saw back then...lol.

I called it the wrong oil because it stopped the pipe in a short time.

A bit hard to see but if you look close it’s about 95% stopped up.
Several big pieces of crappy spooge build up fell out when I took the pipe off.

A guy asked me to look at his engine because he said the power was low.
Told me it was 8 stroking…. Went beyond 4 stroking. Too much pedal assist to get up to speed.

I’m hoping to clean it all up and put him on full synthetic.
I would ask him exactly what brand and kind of crap oil he was running in it before you got ahold of it...Inquiring minds want to know...lol.
2 strokes just don't do this with their oil.

I did ask what oil he was using. He showed me a small 2 stroke Lucas one gallon mix bottle.
I told him no way that oil did that. Then he told me he re-uses the Lucas bottle as a measuring tool.
He never did show me the bottle he was using.

I think IR hit it right. I think he screwed up and was using 4 stroke engine oil.....OR something super cheep. He does have a bad habit of going the absolute cheapest way out with everything on the bike.
Some things...you just cannot cheep out...it'll come back and bite you on the butt.
I gave him this engine just a few months ago after he killed his first engine.

I had a pipe to replace the bad pipe.

I figured they’re cheap enough that it’s not worth messing with all that gook.

It was already a nasty job cleaning up the piston…, rings, ring grooves, even the wrist pin bearing had gook on it. Baked on top the, rings, and in the grooves. I used a bench top wire wheel to scrub the piston fast.

So...he's back in business...rolling again and having fun.

Back