Effects of running wrong oil

He was probably running some detergent oil if it's that messy. I know that compresser oil can be pretty cheap and it is detergent.

I called it the wrong oil because it stopped the pipe in a short time.

A bit hard to see but if you look close it’s about 95% stopped up.
Several big pieces of crappy spooge build up fell out when I took the pipe off.

A guy asked me to look at his engine because he said the power was low.
Told me it was 8 stroking…. Went beyond 4 stroking. Too much pedal assist to get up to speed.

I’m hoping to clean it all up and put him on full synthetic.
Pennzoil xlf marine. 4oz per gallon you'll never have this problem!

I know similar built-ups from 2-stroke engines.
I think it is important :
1. To know what year is your engine - has it been constructed before the modern oil came on the market or afterwards.

2. If it is an old engine than you should use no synthetic or half synthetic oils.

3. You should know what the gas-oil ratio has to be. E.g. my Sachs engine has been developped and constructed in 1938. In this time you had no Super Gas nor synthetic 2-stroke oils. I therefore use for the sommer time when temperatures are above 25 Celsius 1:80. When temperatures are below the freezing point or up to 25 Celsius I use 1:100 mixture.
Most two stroke oils are designed for mixtures from 1:10 to 1:50.
The oil is a mineral two-stroke oil (Liqui-Moly two stroke engine oil). Found out that it is nearly no difference using Super Racing Gas (98-100) or normal gas ( 92).
For a ratio of 1:100 you need in modern engines a special two-stroke oil. (some use Chain saw two stroke oil).

4. Also an important thing is the air filter. If the air filter is a cheep Chinese type ( they are clocked after a short time) than you get less power and more coal layer because the burning process has not enough Oxygen. A good filter is K&N whichu you can also clean yourself. K&N has for the small engines also small "Racing Filters". I do not use those because they are too expensive.

5. Once a year I disassemble the engine, clean it and install new gaskets. The xhaust is controlled by mouth blowing from the other end and see if it is free for the exhaust gases.

Maybe I am doing sometimes a little bit too much but my little engine starts in winter and summer with the first pull.

Back