EHO 35 Cold Starting Problem

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 4613

I'm still having problems with my Robin Subaru EHO 35. It won't start
cold unless I use starting fluid. Once it warms up, it runs fine. Does anyone
have an idea why it is so difficult when cold starting. It has a new plug,
so it's not the plug, and fuel is fresh.

I'm still having problems with my Robin Subaru EHO 35. It won't start
cold unless I use starting fluid. Once it warms up, it runs fine. Does anyone
have an idea why it is so difficult when cold starting. It has a new plug,
so it's not the plug, and fuel is fresh.
Have you tried pulling the carb off and looking into the main jet? More often than not the emulsion tube gets caked with sludge and there isn't enough fuel to get it to start. The emulsion tube might need a little help coming out, if it's gummed in there. Some carb cleaner and PB should free it up. Make sure all the little holes are cleaned. I use a tip cleaner most of the time but a wire from a wire brush works just as well.

Do you have a pic of this emulsion tube? I haven't removed the carb yet.

Not sure which carb you have, but this a typical 4t carb. The emulsion tube is the longer brass piece in the middle.

Attachments

• 20220429_141328.jpg
    20220429_141328.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 79
I have the original one screw walbro 174 carb. Not sure if it matches your
pic but I will have to remove the carb and clean it. I've already cleaned
a Huasheng 142F carb and it was very easy. I guess I have more work
to do. Thanks for the help. Mike

I have the original one screw walbro 174 carb. Not sure if it matches your
pic but I will have to remove the carb and clean it. I've already cleaned
a Huasheng 142F carb and it was very easy. I guess I have more work
to do. Thanks for the help. Mike
OK, you have a pumper carb. You'll need two diaphragms before you start. One for both ends of the carb. The pump side always dries out and doesn't move very well. It will have just enough flex in it to keep it running once there is enough vacuum from the engine, but not enough for the pull start.

OK, now it seems like we're making progress. Thanks so much. I'm
just going to buy a new carb. They're very cheap, like $15. It sounds
like you solved the problem.

First solution is find a place that sells a 100% gas. My personal advise is to replace the Wal-Bro 174 non-adjustable air/fuel mixture carburetor with one of the eBay carbs that have 3 adjustment screws.

If you insist on keeping the Wal-Bro 174 carburetor then order this rebuild Wal-Bro carburetor kit K20-WYL, a carb cleaning tool and carb cleaner. As long as you run ethanol gas you'll have to clean the carb about every 3 months. If you don't carry a spare carb, it can at any time leave you without engine power while out riding. So those are your options carry a spare carb or use a 100% gas.

You can get the carb cleaning tool and the Wal-Bro K20-WYL rebuild kit off eBay. Even if you do buy 2 of the eBay carbs youll still have to clean them every couple of months if you run ethanol gas; so you still need to order some rebuild kits. Fortunately all you need is a #2 Phillips screwdriver to change the carb out.

Back